This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Study of Automotive System Fatigue Models Processed in the Time and Frequency Domain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to demonstrate that frequency domain methods for calculating structural response and fatigue damage can be more widely applicable than previously thought. This will be demonstrated by comparing results of time domain vs. frequency domain approaches for a series of fatigue/durability problems with increasing complexity. These problems involve both static and dynamic behavior. Also, both single input and multiple correlated inputs are considered. And most important of all, a variety of non-stationary loading types have been used. All of the example problems investigated are typically found in the automotive industry, with measured loads from the field or from the proving ground.
CitationFerreira, W., Meehan, T., Cardoso, V., and Bishop, N., "A Comparative Study of Automotive System Fatigue Models Processed in the Time and Frequency Domain," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0377, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0377.
- Bishop, N., Murthy, P., Sweitzer, K., and Kerr, S., "Time vs Frequency Domain Analysis for Large Automotive Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0535, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0535.
- Bishop, N., Kerr, S., Murthy, P., and Sweitzer, K., "Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0725, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0725.
- Newland, D.E. An Introduction to Random Vibrations, Spectral & Wavelet Analysis. Dover Publications, 3rd Edition, 2005
- Karadeniz, H. Stochastic Analysis of Offshore Steel Structures. Springer Series in Reliability Engineering, Springer-Verlag London 2013, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-84996-190-5_2
- Maymon, G. Structural Dynamics and Probabilistic Analysis for Engineers. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2008.
- Palmer, T. and Bishop, N., "Solver Embedded Fatigue," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0904, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0904.
- Newland, D.E., Mechanical Vibrations Analysis and Computation. Dover Publications, 3rd Edition, 2006.
- Craig, R. R, Kurdila, A. J. Fundamentals of Structural Dynamics. Wiley, 2nd Edition, 2006.
- SAE Fatigue Design Handbook., 3rd Edition (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1997), ISBN 978-1-56091-917-9.PA, 1997.
- Bishop, N.W.M, Sherratt, F. Finite Element Based Fatigue Calculations. NAFEMS, 2000.
- Lee, Y.-L., Barkey, M.E., Kang, H.-T. Metal Fatigue Analysis Handbook. Practical Problem-Solving Techniques for Computer-Aided Engineering. Butterworth-Heinemann, Elsevier. USA, 2012.
- Slavic, J. et al. Frequency-domain methods for a vibration-fatigue-life estimation - application to real data. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA2012-USD2012), Leuven, Belgium, September, 2012.
- Larsen, C. E., Irvine, T. A review of spectral methods for variable amplitude fatigue prediction and new results. In: 3rd International Conference on Material and Component Performance under Variable Amplitude Loading, VAL2015. Procedia Engineering 101, pp. 243-250, 2015.
- Bishop, N, Sherratt, F. Fatigue life prediction from power spectral density data. Part 1, traditional approaches and Part 2, recent developments. Env. Eng., 2, (1989).
- Landgraf R. W.. Fatigue technology in vehicle development. SAE 2001-01-4081. In Proceedings of SAE Brazil - International Conference on Fatigue, pages 21-29, São Paulo, 2001. SAE Brazil - Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Haiba M. et al. Review of life assessment techniques applied to dynamically loaded automotive components. Computers and Structures, 80:39-53, 2002.
- Conle, F., "Durability Analysis Under Complex Multiaxial Loading," SAE Technical Paper 871969, 1987, doi:10.4271/871969.
- Conle A. et al. Computer-based prediction of cyclic deformation and fatigue behavior. In Low Cycle Fatigue, ASTM STP 942, pages 1218-1236, 1988.
- Conle F. A. and Mousseau C. W.. Using vehicle dynamics simulations and finite-element results to generate fatigue life contours for chassis components. International Journal of Fatigue, 3:195-205, 1991.
- Conle F. A. and Chin-Chan Chu. Fatigue analysis and the local stress-strain approach in complex vehicular structures. International Journal of Fatigue, 19(1):317-323, 1997.
- Chin-Chan Chu. Multiaxial fatigue life prediction method in the ground vehicle industry. International Journal of Fatigue, 19(1):325-330, 1997.
- Bishop, N., Lack L., Li. T., Kerr, S. Analytical Fatigue Life Assessment of Vibration Induced Fatigue Damage. In: Proceedings of MSC World Users Conference. Universal City, California, USA. May 8-12, 1995.
- CAEfatigue VIBRATION (CFV) User Guide & Verification Manual (Release 2.1). CAEfatigue Limited, UK, July 2015.