This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bayesian Classifier Based Validation Method for Multivariate Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simulation models based design has become the common practice in automotive product development. Before applying these models in practice, model validation needs to be conducted to assess the validity of the models by comparing model predictions with experimental observations. In the validation process, it is vital to develop appropriate validation metrics for intended applications. When dealing with multivariate systems, comparisons between model predictions and test data with multiple responses would lead to conflicting decisions. To address this issue, this paper proposed a Bayesian classifier based validation method. With the consideration of both error rate and confidence in hypothesis testing, Bayesian classifier is developed for decision making. The process of validation is implemented on a real-world vehicle design case. The results show the proposed method’s potential in practical application.
CitationYang, J., Zhan, Z., Zheng, K., and Hu, J., "Bayesian Classifier Based Validation Method for Multivariate Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0284, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0284.
- Zhan , Z. , Hu , J. , Fu , Y. , Yang , R. J. et al. Multivariate Error Assessment of Response Time Histories (M-EARTH) Method for Dynamic Systems Journal of Zhejiang University-Science A 13 2 121 131 2012
- Berger JO , Sellke T. Testing a point null hypothesis: the irreconcilability of P values and evidence J Am Stat Assoc 1987 82 397 112 22
- Marden JI. Hypothesis testing: from p values to Bayes factors J Am Stat Assoc 2000 95 452 1316 20
- Zhang R. , Mahadevan S. Bayesian methodology for reliability model acceptance Reliab Eng Syst Saf 2003 80 1 95 103
- Mahadevan S. , Rebba R. Validation of reliability computational models using Bayes networks Reliab Eng Syst Saf 2005 87 2 223 32
- Jiang X. , Mahadevan S. Bayesian inference method for model validation and confidence extrapolation Journal of Applied Statistics 36 2009 659 677
- Sklansky , J. , Wassel , G.N. Pattern classifier and Trainable Machines New York Springer-Verlag 1981
- Devijver P.A. , Kittler , J. Pattern Recognition: A statisticl Approach New York Prentice-Hall 1982
- Duda , R.O. , Hart , P.E. Pattern Classification and Scene Analysis New York John Wiley & Sons 1973
- Jiang , X. , Mahadevan , S. Bayesian risk-based decision method for model validation under uncertainty Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2007 92 6 707 718
- Weerappuli , P. CAE methodology for child restraint systems Ford Research & Advanced Engineering, Technical Report Dearborn, Michigan 2007
- Zhan , Z. , Fu , Y. , Yang , R.J. et al. Development and Application of A Reliability-based Multivariate Model Validation Method International Journal of Vehicle Design 60 3/4 2012
- Yang , J. , Zhan , Z. , Chen , C. , Shu , Y. et al. Development of a Comprehensive Validation Method for Dynamic Systems and Its Application on Vehicle Design SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 8 3 646 652 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0452