This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Based Design and Optimization of Vehicle Thermal Management System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
More stringent federal emission regulations and fuel economy requirements have driven the automotive industry toward more sophisticated vehicle thermal management systems in order to best utilize the waste heat and minimize overall power consumption. With all new technologies and requirements, how to properly design, optimize, and control the vehicle thermal and cooling systems become great challenges to automotive engineers.
Model based approach has become essential to the new thermal management system architectures design and evaluation of the optimal system solutions. This paper will discuss how the model based vehicle thermal system simulation tools have been developed from analytical & empirical data, and have been used for assessment and development of new thermal management system architectures.
CitationSaha, J., Chen, H., and Rahman, S., "Model Based Design and Optimization of Vehicle Thermal Management System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0283, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0283.
- Scott , T. , Chang , F. , Khandaker , M. , and Uppuluri , S. Transient Thermal Modeling of Power Train Components SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 2 962 973 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0956
- El-Sharkawy , A. , Kamrad , J. , Lounsberry , T. , Baker , G. et al. Evaluation of Impact of Active Grille Shutter on Vehicle Thermal Management SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 4 1 1244 1254 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1172
- Negandhi , V. , Jung , D. , and Shutty , J. Active Thermal Management with a Dual Mode Coolant Pump SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 817 825 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0849
- Laboe , K. , Canova , M. Powertrain Waste Heat Recovery: a System Approach to Maximize Drivetrain Efficiency ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference
- Shayler , P. , Leong , D. , and Murphy , M. Contributions to Engine Friction During Cold, Low Speed Running and the Dependence on Oil Viscosity SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1654 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1654
- Sandoval , D. and Heywood , J. An Improved Friction Model for Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0725 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0725
- Traussnig , A. , Petutschnig , H. , Ennemoser , A. , Stolz , M. et al. Vehicle Thermal Management Simulation Method Integrated in the Development Process from Scratch to Prototype SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0668 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0668
- Shayler , P. , Christian , S. , and Ma , T. A Model for the Investigation of Temperature, Heat Flow and Friction Characteristics During Engine Warm-Up SAE Technical Paper 931153 1993 10.4271/931153
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Scott , T. Modeling Compact Exchangers for HVAC Applications ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference July 2003
- Pang , H.H. and Brace C.J. Review of Engine Cooling Technologies for Modern Engines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Vol. 218 Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 2004
- Allen , D. and Lasecki , M. Thermal Management Evolution and Controlled Coolant Flow SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1732 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1732
- Farrant , P. , Robertson , A. , Hartland , J. , and Joyce , S. The Application of Thermal Modelling to an Engine and Transmission to Improve Fuel Consumption Following a Cold Start SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2038 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2038
- Cipollone , R. , Villante , C. Vehicle Thermal Management: A Model-Based Approach Fall Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division 2004
- Cortona , E. and Onder , C. Engine Thermal Management with Electric Cooling Pump SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0965 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0965
- Incropera , F. , Dewitt , D. , Bergman , T. , Lavine , A. Introduction to Heat Transfer John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2007
- Miller , D. Internal Flow Systems British Hydromechanics Research Association 1990 33
- Glewen , W. , Heuwetter , D. , Foster , D. , Andrie , M. et al. Analysis of Deviations from Steady State Performance During Transient Operation of a Light Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 909 922 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1067
- Sweafford , T. , Yoon , H. , Wang , Y. , and Will , A. Co-Simulation of Multiple Software Packages for Model Based Control Development and Full Vehicle System Evaluation SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 702 714 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0951
- Lee , B. , Jung , D. , Myers , J. , Kang , J. et al. Fuel Economy Improvement During Cold Start Using Recycled Exhaust Heat and Electrical Energy for Engine Oil and ATF Warm-Up SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0674 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0674
- Saab , S. , Hetet , J. , Maiboom , A. , and Charbonnelle , F. Combined Modeling of Thermal Systems of an Engine in the Purpose of a Reduction in the Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0142 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0142