This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantification of Meta-model and Parameter Uncertainties in Robust Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To reduce the computational time of the iterations in robust design, meta-models are frequently utilized to approximate time-consuming computer aided engineering models. However, the bias of meta-model uncertainty largely affects the robustness of the prediction results, this uncertainty need to be addressed before design optimization. In this paper, an efficient uncertainty quantification method considering both model and parameter uncertainties is proposed. Firstly, the uncertainty of parameters are characterized by statistical distributions. The Bayesian inference is then performed to improve the predictive capabilities of the surrogate models, meanwhile, the model uncertainty can also be quantified in the form of variance. Monte Carlo sampling is finally utilized to quantify the compound uncertainties of model and parameter. Furthermore, the proposed uncertainty quantification method is used for robust design. A numerical example and a real-world vehicle lightweight case study are used to demonstrate the validity of the proposed method.
CitationChen, C., Zhan, Z., Li, J., Jiang, Y. et al., "Quantification of Meta-model and Parameter Uncertainties in Robust Design," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0279, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0279.
- Chen , W. , Allen , J.K. , Tsui , K.L. , Mistree , F. 1996 A procedure for robust design: minimizing variations caused by noise factors and control factors J Mech. Design 118 4 478 485
- Zhu , P. , Zhang , Y. , Chen , G.L. 2009 Meta-model-based lightweight design of an automotive front-body structure using robust optimization P I Mech. Eng. D- J Aut 223 9 1133 1147
- Simpson , T.W. , Peplinski , J.D. , Koch , P.N. , Allen , J.K. 2001 Meta-models for computer-based engineering design: survey and recommendations Eng. Compute 17 2 129 150
- Wang , G.G. , Shan , S. 2007 Review of metamodeling techniques in support of engineering design optimization J Mech. Design 129 4 370 380
- Zhang , Y. , Zhu , P. , Chen , G.L. 2007 Lightweight design of automotive front side rail based on robust design Thin Wall Structure 45 670 676
- Apley , D.W. , Liu , J. , Chen , W. 2006 Understanding the effects of model uncertainty in robust design with computer experiments J Mech. Design 128 946 958
- Jin , R. , Chen , W. , Simpson , T.W. 2001 Comparative studies of metamodeling techniques under multiple modelling criteria Structure Multidisc Optimization 23 1 1 13
- Zhang , S. , Zhu , P. , Chen , W. 2013 Concurrent treatment of parametric uncertainty and metamodeling uncertainty in robust design Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 47 1 63 76
- Yang , R. J. , Wang , N. , Tho , C. H. 2005 Metamodeling development for vehicle frontal impact simulation Journal of Mechanical Design 127 5 1014 1020
- Zhan , Z. , Fu , Y. , Yang , R. , Xi , Z. et al. A Bayesian Inference based Model Interpolation and Extrapolation SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 5 2 357 364 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0223
- Chen , W. , Wiecek , M. , Zhang , J. 1999 Quality utility: a compromise programming approach to robust design J Mech. Design 121 2 179 187
- Du , X.P. , Chen , W. 2000 Toward a better understanding of modeling feasibility robustness in engineering design J Mech. Design 122 4 385 394
- Liu , B. , Yang , J. , Zhan , Z. , Zheng , L. et al. An Enhanced Input Uncertainty Representation Method for Response Surface Models in Automotive Weight Reduction Applications SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 8 3 616 622 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0423
- Zhan , Z. , Fu , Y. , and Yang , R. A Stochastic Bias Corrected Response Surface Method and its Application to Reliability-Based Design Optimization SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 2 262 268 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0731