This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Waste Heat Recovery by an Organic Rankine Cycle for Heavy Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of reciprocating internal combustion engines (ICE) dominates the sector of the in-the-road transportation sector, both for light and heavy duties. CO2 reduction is the technological driver, considering the severe worldwide greenhouse commitments.
In ICE more than one third of the fuel energy used is rejected to the environment as thermal waste through the exhaust gases. Therefore, a greater fuel economy could be achieved, recovering this energy and converting it into useful electric power on board. Financial benefits will be produced in terms of fuel cost which will rebound similar benefits in terms of CO2 emitted. For long hauling vehicles, which run for thousands of miles, frequently at fixed engine operating conditions, this recovery appears very worthy of attention.
In this activity, an ORC-based power unit was designed, built and tested fed by a heavy duty diesel engine, so contributing to the huge efforts on going in that specific sector. As already experienced by the authors in similar passenger car and light duty applications, important differences appear between theoretical predictions (copious in literature) and measured performances in real cases.
Main testing attention, in particular, has been reversed to the expander, here represented by a single stage impulse axial turbine. An overall net efficiency of the power unit was around 4 %, with a mechanical power equal to 2 kW.
CitationCipollone, R., Di Battista, D., Perosino, A., and Bettoja, F., "Waste Heat Recovery by an Organic Rankine Cycle for Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0234, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0234.
- IEA World energy outlook 2012
- Developing a better understanding of the secondary impacts and key sensitivities for the decarbonisation of the EU's transport sector by 2050 - Final Project Report, by Nikolas Hill, Charlotte Brannigan (AEA); Richard Smokers (TNO); Arno Schroten, Huib van Essen (CE Delft) and Ian Skinner (TEPR), 29 July 2012
- Reducing Transport Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Trends & Data 2010 - OECD/ITF 2010
- European Vehicle Market Statistics Pocketbook 2014 - 2014 International Council on Clean Transportation
- Reduction and Testing of Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Heavy Duty Vehicles - LOT 2 Development and testing of a certification procedure for CO2 emissions and fuel consumption of HDV Contract N° 070307/2009/548300/SER/C3 - University of Technology Graz Institute for Internal Combustion Engines and Thermodynamics (2012)
- California Environmental Protection Agency, Heavy Duty Technology and Fuel Assessment Overview, April 2015
- Pawlowski, A. and Splitter, D., "SI Engine Trends: A Historical Analysis with Future Projections," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0972, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0972.
- Nikolas Hill (AEA), Stephen Finnegan (AEA), John Norris (AEA), Charlotte Brannigan (AEA), David Wynn (AEA), Hannah Baker (Ricardo) and Ian Skinner (AEA Associate/TEPR - Reduction and Testing of Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions from Heavy Duty Vehicles - Lot 1: Strategy - Final Report to the European Commission - DG Climate Action Ref: DG ENV. 070307/2009/548572/SER/C3 (2011)
- Eelco den Boer (CE Delft), Sanne Aarnink (CE Delft), Florian Kleiner (DLR), Johannes Pagenkopf (DLR) - Zero emissions trucks - An overview of state-of-the-art technologies and their potential - Delft, CE Delft, July 2013
- Di Battista, D., Villante, C., and Cipollone, R., "Optimal Components Design of a Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2546, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2546.
- Shutty, J. and Pinto, R., "Advanced Thermal Management Strategies," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0542, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-36-0542.
- Cipollone R., Di Battista D., Gualtieri A. - A novel engine cooling system with two circuits operating at different temperatures - Energy Conversion and Management 75 (2013) 581-592
- Grimaldi, C., Poggiani, C., Cimarello, A., De Cesare, M. et al., "An Integrated Simulation Methodology of Thermal Management Systems for the CO2 Reduction after Engine Cold Start," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0343, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0343.
- Cipollone, R. and Di Battista, D., "Performances and Opportunities of an Engine Cooling System with a Double Circuit at Two Temperature Levels," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0638, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0638.
- Cipollone R:, Di Battista D., Mauriello M. - Effects of oil warm up acceleration on the fuel consumption of reciprocating internal combustion engines - 70th Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, ATI2015
- Khanjani, K., Deng, J., and Ordys, A., "Controlling Variable Coolant Temperature in Internal Combustion Engines and its Effects on Fuel Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2014-32-0064, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-32-0064.
- Thomas, S., Saroop, A., Rajak, R., and Muthiah, S., "Investigation on the Effect of Coolant Temperature on the Performance and Emissions of Naturally Aspirated Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0089, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-26-0089.
- Deptula, L. and Noah, A., "Estimating the Cost Impact of Lightweighting Automotive Closures," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0581, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0581.
- William, G., Shoukry, M., and Prucz, J., "Analysis of Lightweighting Design Alternatives for Automotive Components," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2287, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2287.
- Brooker, A., Ward, J., and Wang, L., "Lightweighting Impacts on Fuel Economy, Cost, and Component Losses," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0381, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0381.
- De Ojeda, W. and Rajkumar, M., "Engine Technologies for Clean and High Efficiency Heavy Duty Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 5(4):1759-1767, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1976.
- Cipollone, Roberto; Di Battista, Davide; Gualtieri, Angelo;, Head and block split cooling in ICE,"Engine and Powertrain Control, Simulation and Modeling",3,1,400-407,2012
- Zhang, W. and Guo, X., "Analysis and Modeling of Transmission Efficiency of Vehicle Driveline," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1779, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1779.
- Ando, T., Yagasaki, T., Ichijo, S., Sakagami, K. et al., "Improvement of Transmission Efficiency in CVT Shifting Mechanism Using Metal Pushing V-Belt," SAE Int. J. Engines 8(3):1391-1397, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1103
- Chagas, C., Freitas, T., Falleiros, M., Silva, A. et al., "Innovative Product and Project for Timing Chain Drive System with Increase in Transmission Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0122, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-36-0122.
- Takada, Y., Ueki, S., Saito, A., Sawazu, N. et al., "Improvement of Fuel Economy by Eco-Driving with Devices for Freight Vehicles in Real Traffic Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1323, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1323.
- Ueki, S. and Takada, Y., "Improvement of Fuel Economy and CO2 Reduction of Commercial Vehicles by the Promotion of Eco-Driving Management System (EMS)," SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0048, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-28-0048.
- Cipollone R., Di Battista D., Gualtieri A. - Energy Recovery From The Turbocharging System Of Internal Combustion Engines - Proceedings of the ASME 2012 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and AnalysisESDA2012July 2-4, 2012, Nantes, France
- Weerasinghe W. M. S. R., Stobart R. K., and Hounsham S. M., “Thermal efficiency improvement in high output diesel engines a comparison of a Rankine cycle with turbo-compounding” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 14-15, pp. 2253-2256, 2010.
- Jadhao J. S.,Thombare D. G. - Review on Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery for I.C. Engine - International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) Volume 2, Issue 12, June 2013
- Ringler, J., Seifert, M., Guyotot, V., and Hübner, W., "Rankine Cycle for Waste Heat Recovery of IC Engines," SAE Int. J. Engines 2(1):67-76, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-
- Furukawa, T., Nakamura, M., Machida, K., and Shimokawa, K., "A Study of the Rankine Cycle Generating System for Heavy Duty HV Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0678, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0678.
- Huan Xi, Ming-Jia Li, Ya-Ling He, Wen-Quan Tao, A graphical criterion for working fluid selection and thermodynamic system comparison in waste heat recovery, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 89, 5 October 2015, Pages 772-782, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.06.050.
- Iacopo Vaja, Agostino Gambarotta, Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) bottoming with Organic Rankine Cycles (ORCs), Energy, Volume 35, Issue 2, February 2010, Pages 1084-1093, ISSN 0360-5442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2009.06.001.
- Jian Song, Chun-wei Gu, Analysis of ORC (Organic Rankine Cycle) systems with pure hydrocarbons and mixtures of hydrocarbon and retardant for engine waste heat recovery, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 89, 5 October 2015, Pages 693-702, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.06.055.
- Daniel Maraver, Javier Royo, Vincent Lemort, Sylvain Quoilin, Systematic optimization of subcritical and transcritical organic Rankine cycles (ORCs) constrained by technical parameters in multiple applications, Applied Energy, Volume 117, 15 March 2014, Pages 11-29, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.11.076.
- Jian Song, Chun-wei Gu, Parametric analysis of a dual loop Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) system for engine waste heat recovery, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 105, 15 November 2015, Pages 995-1005, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.074.
- Usman Muhammad, Muhammad Imran, Lee Dong Hyun, Park Byung Sik, Design and experimental investigation of a 1 kW organic Rankine cycle system using R245fa as working fluid for low-grade waste heat recovery from steam, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 103, October 2015, Pages 1089-1100, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.045.
- Fubin Yang, Hongguang Zhang, Chen Bei, Songsong Song, Enhua Wang, Parametric optimization and performance analysis of ORC (organic Rankine cycle) for diesel engine waste heat recovery with a fin-and-tube evaporator, Energy, Volume 91, November 2015, Pages 128-141, ISSN 0360-5442, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.08.034.
- Sylvain Quoilin, Martijn Van Den Broek, Sébastien Declaye, Pierre Dewallef, Vincent Lemort, Techno-economic survey of Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 22, June 2013, Pages 168-186, ISSN 1364-0321, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.01.028.
- Samer Maalouf, Ksayer Elias Boulawz, Denis Clodic, Investigation of direct contact condensation for wet flue-gas waste heat recovery using Organic Rankine Cycle, Energy Conversion and Management, Available online 12 October 2015, ISSN 0196-8904, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.09.047.
- Di Battista D., Mauriello M., Cipollone R., Waste heat recovery of an ORC-based power unit in a turbocharged diesel engine propelling a light duty vehicle, Applied Energy, Volume 152, 15 August 2015, Pages 109-120, ISSN 0306-2619, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.04.088.
- Simone Amicabile, Jeong-Ik Lee, Dongsuk Kum, A comprehensive design methodology of organic Rankine cycles for the waste heat recovery of automotive heavy-duty diesel engines, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 87, 5 August 2015, Pages 574-585, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.04.034.
- Danel Q., Périlhon C., Lacour S., Punov P., Danlos A., Waste Heat Recovery Applied to a Tractor Engine, Energy Procedia, Volume 74, August 2015, Pages 331-343, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.07.622.
- Roberto Cipollone, Giuseppe Bianchi, Di Battista Davide, Giulio Contaldi, Stefano Murgia, Mechanical Energy Recovery from Low Grade Thermal Energy Sources, Energy Procedia, Volume 45, 2014, Pages 121-130, ISSN 1876-6102, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.01.014.
- Capano, Gianmarco, "Waste Heat Recovery Systems for Fuel Economy" (2014). Electronic Theses and Dissertations. Paper 5015. 0174
- Charles Sprouse III, Christopher Depcik, Review of organic Rankine cycles for internal combustion engine exhaust waste heat recovery, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 51, Issues 1-2, March 2013, Pages 711-722, ISSN 1359-4311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.10.017
- Teng, H., Regner, G., and Cowland, C., "Achieving High Engine Efficiency for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines by Waste Heat Recovery Using Supercritical Organic-Fluid Rankine Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3522, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3522.
- Erlandsson, O., Skare, T., and Contet, A., "On Handling Waste Heat from Waste Heat Recovery Systems in Heavy-Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2792, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2792.
- Briggs, T., Wagner, R., Edwards, K., Curran, S. et al., "A Waste Heat Recovery System for Light Duty Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2205, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2205.
- Roberto Cipollone, Giuseppe Bianchi, Angelo Gualtieri, Di Battista Davide, Marco Mauriello, Fabio Fatigati - Development of an Organic Rankine Cycle system for exhaust energy recovery in internal combustion engines - proceeding of UIT conference 2015
- Wang, T, Zhang, Y, Zhang, J, Shu, G & Peng, ZJ 2013, 'Analysis of recoverable exhaust energy from a light-duty gasoline engine' Applied Thermal Engineering, vol 53, no. 2, pp. 414-419., 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.03.025
- Tianyou Wang, Yajun Zhang, Jie Zhang, Zhijun Peng, Gequn Shu, Comparisons of system benefits and thermo-economics for exhaust energy recovery applied on a heavy-duty diesel engine and a light-duty vehicle gasoline engine, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 84, August 2014, Pages 97-107, ISSN 0196-8904
- Oscar Delgado and Nic Lutsey, The U.S. Supertruck Program Expediting The Development Of Advanced Heavy-Duty Vehicle Efficiency Technologies, 2014 International Council on Clean Transportation
- Baomin Dai, Chaobin Dang, Minxia Li, Hua Tian, Yitai Ma, Thermodynamic performance assessment of carbon dioxide blends with low-global warming potential (GWP) working fluids for a heat pump water heater, International Journal of Refrigeration, Volume 56, August 2015, Pages 1-14, ISSN 0140-7007, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2014.11.009.
- Di Battista, D., Mauriello, M., and Cipollone, R., "Effects of an ORC Based Heat Recovery System on the Performances of a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1608, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1608.
- Bianchi G. - Exhaust Waste Heat Recovery in Internal Combustion Engines: Development of an ORC-based power unit using Sliding Vane Rotary Machines - PhD Thesis University of L’Aquila March 19, 2015. ISBN 978-88-87182-69-9