This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Compact High-Efficiency 2-Layer Blower Fan for HVAC
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, the spread of eco-car has led to the demand for adaptation to low heat source, high efficiency and low noise in vehicle air conditioner. On the other hand, larger interior space of vehicle to assure passenger comfort is demanded, so that the car air-conditioner is required to be smaller. Therefore, we adopted 2-layer HVAC for the air conditioner which can respond to a low heat source. At the same time we have developed the compact high-efficiency 2-layer blower fan for HVAC in order to enable the 2-layer HVAC to be mounted on eco-car with smaller space than conventional HVAC.
Generally, because axial flow velocity increases resulting from downsizing of the blower, the ununiform velocity distribution in the axial direction and the turbulent flow between fan blades occurs. It causes the efficiency decrease.
To satisfy both downsizing and high-efficiency of the 2-layer blower, we have developed new technologies which can make the flow uniform between fan blades. The new fan is characterized by the inclined blade leading edge. This inclination of edge spread inside diameter of fan in the upper part more than the under part. Furthermore, we devised new scroll which is extended main flow part. This expansion of scroll prevents main flow from colliding with the scroll wall.
We were able to reduce electricity consumption by 20% and noise by 4.5dBA with 40% of downsizing.
By compact high-efficiency 2-layer blower, we were able to place 2-layer HVAC in the smaller space than ever before.
CitationImahigashi, S., Sakai, M., Yoshino, E., and Mitsuishi, Y., "Compact High-Efficiency 2-Layer Blower Fan for HVAC," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0193, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0193.
- Masaharu SAKAI , Toshinori OCHIAI , Yasushi MITSUISHI Development of Compact High Efficiency Blower Fan for HVAC Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan
- Keiji KOUMURA , Yoshiaki NAKAMURA Numerical Analysis of Flow between Blades in Sirocco Fan Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 79 804 1514 1523 2013
- Ken MORINUSHI Noise Source of a Multiblade Fan Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 57 43 3837 3844 1991
- Kiyoshi KAWAGUCHI , Shigeru KADOTA , Masahiko SUZUKI , Kazuma MATSUI Experimental Study on Noise Reduction of Multiblade Fan : 2nd Report, Relation of Flow between Fan Blades and Pressure Fluctuations Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 60 70 458 463 1994
- Yasushi MITSUISHI , Masaharu SAKAI Experimental Analysis on Flow Pattern between Fan Blades of Car Air-conditioning Systems by Dynamic PIV(high-speed PIV) 2009 Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 134 09