This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilizing Vehicle Seat Adjustment Motor to Detect, Weigh and Classify the Seat Occupants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High-end vehicles with latest technology and autonomous driving experience have to bear the cost of increasing number of sensors on-board. It would be beneficial to reduce some of the sensors in the vehicle and make use of other available resources, retaining the same functionality. This paper discusses a novel technique of estimating the weight of seat occupant from an already existing DC motor without using additional pressure sensors. Passenger weight information is important for seat-belt reminder system as well as supplemental restraint system that will decide the air-bag deployment. The mathematical model for a series-type DC motor is analyzed and simulated using MATLAB. Further, results of the experiment performed on a lower capacity motor are shared and compared with the simulation results. Formulating a linear relation gives a possibility to develop a device for occupant weight measurement inside the high-end vehicles.
CitationHingane, S., "Utilizing Vehicle Seat Adjustment Motor to Detect, Weigh and Classify the Seat Occupants," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0100, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0100.
- Office of Vehicle Safety Research UPDATED REVIEW OF POTENTIAL TEST PROCEDURES FOR FMVSS NO. 208 OCTOBER 1999 NHTSA
- Takano Tsutomu DEVELOPMENT OF OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM The 18th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Proceedings Nagoya, Japan May 19-22, 2003
- Farmer Michael E. et al. Occupant Classification System for Automotive Airbag Suppression Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2003 Proceedings. 2003 IEEE Computer Society Conference
- Aung Wai Phyo Analysis on Modeling and Simulink of DC Motor and its Driving System Used for Wheeled Mobile Robot World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Electronics and Communication Engineering 1 8 2007
- Abdulrahman et al. Modelling and Simulation for Industrial DC Motor Using Intelligent Control International Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors 2012
- Mahfouz Ahmad A. et al. Modeling, Simulation and Dynamics Analysis Issues of Electric Motor, for Mechatronics Applications, Using Different Approaches and Verification by MATLAB/Simulink I.J. Intelligent Systems and Applications 2013 05 39 57
- Applebaum J. and Singer S. Magnification of Starting Torques of dc Motors by Maximum Power Point Trackers in Photovoltaic Systems 24th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Washington, D.C. August 6-11, 1989
- Abd El-Hamid Ahmed S. Armature Current Control of DC Motor using Generic Model Control World Applied Sciences Journal 18 12 1689 1694 2012
- Raval Payal P. , mehta C.R. Prof. Modeling, Simulation and Implementation of Speed Control of DC Motor Using PIC 16F877A International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 2 3 March 2012
- US Patent US5474327 Vehicle occupant restraint with seat pressure sensor Schousek Theresa J. Dec. 1995
- US Patent US8417422B2 Vehicle passenger classification system using weight sensors Ho Choi Hyeong et al. July 2009
- Carlin John et al. Evaluation of Cost Effective Sensor Combinations for a Vehicle Precrash Detection System SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress and Exhibition Chicago Illinois November 1-3, 2005