This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Novel Design of Pneumatic Actuator for Camless Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The concept of camless engines enables us to optimize the overall engine efficiency and performance, as it provides great flexibility in valve timing and valve displacement. This paper deals with design of camless engines with pneumatic actuator. The main objective is to build a prototype and test its performance at different engine speeds. Also an extensive research on the sensors is done to detect the various sensors that could be used to identify the crankshaft position. Here the features and advantages over conventional engines are discussed. In addition the overview of the camless system in the engine is focused along with the design principle and the components used. The system thus designed is capable of actuating at 1500 rpm and demonstrates the ability of pneumatic actuators to be used in an internal combustion engine with low rpm needs.
CitationVenkatesh, D. and Selvakumar, A., "A Novel Design of Pneumatic Actuator for Camless Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0099, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0099.
- Fukuo, K., Iwata, T., Sakamoto, Y., Imai, Y. et al., "Honda 3.0 Liter, New V6 Engine," SAE Technical Paper 970916, 1997, doi:10.4271/970916.
- Brüstle, C. and Schwarzenthal, D., "VarioCam Plus - A Highlight of the Porsche 911 Turbo Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0245, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0245.
- Schechter, M. and Levin, M., "Camless Engine," SAE Technical Paper 960581, 1996, doi:10.4271/960581.
- Denger, D. and Mischker, K., "The Electro-Hydraulic Valvetrain System EHVS - System and Potential ," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0774, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0774.
- Flierl, R. and Klüting, M., "The Third Generation of Valvetrains - New Fully Variable Valvetrains for Throttle-Free Load Control," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1227, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-1227.
- John Steven Brader., “Development of a piezoelectric Controlled Hydraulic Actuator for a Camless Engine”
- Lou, Z., Deng, Q., Wen, S., Zhang, Y. et al., "Progress in Camless Variable Valve Actuation with Two-Spring Pendulum and Electrohydraulic Latching," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(1):319-326, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0590.
- Anderson Mark D. and Tsao Tsu-Chin and Levin, Michael B., (2005) “Adaptive Lift Control for a Camless Electrohydraulic Valvetrain,” IEEE Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 1998, Volume:2, 955 - 956, vol.2
- Royo, R., Corberán, J., Azara, L., Devanne, N. et al., "Optimization of a Camless Engine Distribution By Means of The Modelling. Study of The Influence of The External Operation Parameters on The Performance of The Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3370, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3370.
- Schernus, C., van der Staay, F., Janssen, H., Neumeister, J. et al., "Modeling of Exhaust Valve Opening in a Camless Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0376, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0376.
- Bianchi, G., Pelloni, P., Filicori, F., and Vannini, G., "Optimization of the Solenoid Valve Behavior in Common-Rail Injection Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2042, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-2042.
- Seethaler, R., Koch, C., Chladny, R., and Mashkournia, M., "Closed Loop Electromagnetic Valve Actuation Motion Control on a Single Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0594, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0594.
- The Clemson University Vehicle Electronics Laboratory, “Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensors, Engine Speed Sensors,” http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/auto/sensors/shaft-position.html
- Boris Smus., “Web Audio API: Pitch and frequency domain,” http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000001552/ch04.html, 2013
- Scheuerell, M. and Pakkala, J., "Valve Event Detection Using Knock Sensor Signals," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1288, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1288.
- Shiao, Y., and Dat L. V.. "Efficiency improvement for an unthrottled SI engine at part load." International Journal of Automotive Technology 13, no. 6 (2012): 885-893.
- Agriera., “Understanding Valve timing diagram of 4 stroke spark ignition engine”,” http://www.agriera.com/understanding-valve-timing-diagram-of-4-stroke-spark-ignition-engine/, October 2015
- Ham, Yun-Young, and Park, Pyongwan. “The Effects of Intake Valve Events on Engine Breathing Capability”. SAE Technical Paper 912470, 1991.
- Saunders, R. and Abdul-Wahab, E., "Variable Valve Closure Timing for Load Control and the Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine," SAE Technical Paper 890677, 1989, doi:10.4271/890677.
- Hong, H., Parvate-Patil, G.B., Gordon, B., “Review and Analysis of Variable Valve Timing Strategies - Eight Ways to Approach”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering October 1, 2004 vol. 218 no. 10 1179-1200.
- Saraç, I. and Mischker, K., "Fault Diagnosis of Fully Variable Valve Actuators on a Four Cylinder Camless Engine," SAE Int. J. Engines 1(1):960-969, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1353.