This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advantages of Directive Acoustic Sources for Audible Alert Systems in EV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The rapid growth of Electric Vehicles (EV’s) and Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV’s) has increased the concern that the relative silence of these type of vehicles will result in an increased risk to pedestrian safety. A practical solution to this problem is to add artificial sounds to EV's to aid their detection by pedestrians and other vulnerable road users.
Acoustic warning systems for EV’s should increase pedestrian safety and simultaneously produce a small impact on environmental noise levels. This paper shows the main advantage of using a directive acoustic source implemented as a beamforming loudspeaker array in an EV to increase pedestrian safety and control the effect on noise pollution. An example of such a system has been implemented in a Nissan Leaf vehicle and its performance in realistic situations has been assessed. The experimental results show that this type of approach is very effective to increase close-to-accident pedestrian safety near EV’s and simultaneously reduce noise pollution with respect to conventional acoustic warning devices.
CitationGarcía, J., Català, A., and Montané, X., "Advantages of Directive Acoustic Sources for Audible Alert Systems in EV," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0560, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0560.
- NHTSA incidence of pedestrians and cyclic crashes by electric vehicles September 2009
- Van der Rots , R. and Berkhoff , A.P. directional loudspeaker arrays for acoustic warning systems with minimized noise pollution Applied Acoustics 89 2015 345 354
- Quinn , David , Mitchell , Josh , Clark , Paul and García , Juan J. eVADER - Development and initial evaluation of a next generation pedestrian alert solution for quiet electric vehicles FISITA Congress 2014 Paper F2014-NVH-080 Maastricht 2 6 June 2014
- Parizet , Etienne et al. Warning sounds for electric vehicles FISITA Congress 2014, Paper F2014-NVH-049 Maastricht 2 6 Jun2 2014
- García , Juan J. et al The expected impact of eVADER technology in the safety of vulnerable road users International Conference on Noise and Vibration - ISMA 2014, Paper 455 KU Leven, Belgium 15 17 September 2014