This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tailpipe Position over a Realistic 3D Road Car Model: The Effect on Drag Coefficient
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerodynamic development of road car have been progressing as engineering tools become more accurate and feasible. Wind tunnels more similar to the real environment, as well as computational techniques with improved modelling and hardware, lead the development of aerodynamic applications to focus on details.
In this scenario, exhaust gases may jump from ordinary residuals to useful flow for aerodynamic control.
The objective of this paper is to investigate the effect of exhaust tailpipe position on drag coefficient over a 3D realistic road car model.
Therefore, the main contributions of this paper are (i) to present the influence of tailpipe position over the car, as well as (ii) to provide results that may support technical decision concerning performance and design targets on a road car project.
CitationSoares, R. and de Souza, F., "Tailpipe Position over a Realistic 3D Road Car Model: The Effect on Drag Coefficient," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0522, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0522.
- Ahmad , N. E. et al. Mesh optimization for Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics 2010 CFD Letters 2
- Ahmed , S.R. Influence of Base Slant on the Wake Structure and Drag of Road Vehicles Trans. ASME. Journal of Fluids Engineering 105 429 434 1983
- Browand et al. The Aerodynamics of Heavy Vehicles II: Trucks, Buses, and Trains Lecture Notes in Applied and Computational Mechanics 41 Springer Heidelberg 2009
- Bruneau , C-H. et al. Coupling active and passive techniques to control the flow past the square back Ahmed body Computers & Fluids 39 1875 1892 2010
- CD-Adapco 2014 User Guide STAR-CCM+ Version 9.04
- Heft , A. I. et al. Introduction of a new realistic generic car model for aerodynamic investigations 2012 SAE World
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Hucho , W-H. et al. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Fouth Society of Automotive Engineers Inc 1998
- Kleissl , J. Field Experimental Study of the Smagorinsky Model and Application to Large Eddy Simulation 153 Thesis Johns Hopkins University 2004
- Olander , M. et al. CFD Simulation of the Volvo Cars Slotted Walls Wind Tunnel 53 Thesis Chalmers University of Technology 2011
- Huang , P.G. et al. Law of the wall for turbulent flows in pressure gradients AIAA Journal 33 624 632 1995