This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of an Internal Combustion Engine Using One-Dimensional Computational Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One-dimensional models for internal combustion engines analysis are very useful to simulate its systems through a relatively low computational effort. Based on this idea, this paper presents the simulation of a spark-ignition engine using one-dimensional models implemented in object oriented programming by the authors.
The model was adapted to simulate a research four valves, single cylinder, spark ignition, reciprocating internal combustion engine. The gas in the cylinder was described by conservation equations, including the momentum conservation equation, that wasn’t found in the checked literature. For the combustion, a two zones model was implemented, based on combustion wave equations, such that detonation and deflagration are calculated by the same set of equations. The flame propagation geometry was considered to be spherical. The numerical and experimental data to the engine working with commercial ethanol were compared in order to evaluate the quality of the model, which included the analysis of the pressure, temperature, mean effective pressure, apparent heat release, mass burnt fraction, among other aspects. They presented good agreement, showing an interesting potential for the software and some other points which could be refined in the future to make the software even more reliable and practical.
- Fábio de Castro Radicchi - Technology Center of Mobility - UFMG
- João Marcos Gomes Vieira - Technology Center of Mobility - UFMG
- Leonardo Fonseca - Technology Center of Mobility - UFMG
- José Eduardo Mautone Barros - Technology Center of Mobility - UFMG
- Ramón Molina Valle - Technology Center of Mobility - UFMG
Citationde Castro Radicchi, F., Vieira, J., Fonseca, L., Barros, J. et al., "Numerical Analysis of an Internal Combustion Engine Using One-Dimensional Computational Models," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0377, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0377.
- Heywood , J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988
- Barros , J.E.M. Estudo de Motores de Combustão Interna Aplicando Análise Orientada a Objetos 2003
- Obert , E.F. Motores de combustão interna Porto Alegre Globo 1971
- Taylor , C.F. Análise dos motores de combustão interna São Paulo Editora Edgard Blücher 1988 1 e 2
- Mohanan , P. and Babu , M.K.G. Simulation model for a methanol fueled turbocharged multi-cylinder automotive spark ignition engine SAE paper 912417 Warrendale SAE 1991 21
- Rakopoulos , C.D. Evaluation of a spark ignition engine cycle using first and second law analysis techniques Energy Conversion and Management 34 12 dec 1993 1299 1314
- Zucrow , M.J. and Hoffman , J.D. Gas dynamics New York John Wiley & Sons 1976 I e II