This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of an Academic Swirlmeter System for Measuring Air Flow in Automotive Engine Heads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Conventional airflow benches do not measure the swirl airflow effect, being restricted to indicate the flow for a given test pressure. This effect directly affects the volumetric efficiency of the engine and, therefore, the performance and fuel consumption of the vehicles. The behavior of swirl in the intake airflow improves the filling capacity of the combustion chamber, homogenizes the air fuel mixture and improves the fuel combustion efficiency, enabling the engine to deliver more power in the same cycle. This paper describes the development of a swirl measurement system to be adapted to conventional flow benches offered on the market, which can be also applied in other tests where the flow swirl effect is important. The state of the art is discussed in depth presenting mathematical models of the problem, parameters involved in the design of the swirl measurement system, mechanical systems modeled in CAD, and the electronic circuit diagrammatically represented and finally, the prototype built and calibration tests performed with existing head. The tests were carried out with engine heads and the results are discussed in order to understand the behavior of the swirl measurement and its impacts over the airflow.
|Technical Paper||Experimental Analysis of a Natural Gas Fueled Engine and 1-D Simulation of VVT and VVA Strategies|
|Technical Paper||Model-Based Engine Calibration for Best Fuel Efficiency|
CitationVandresen, M., Cazangi, H., Tomasi, B., and Fernandes, R., "Development of an Academic Swirlmeter System for Measuring Air Flow in Automotive Engine Heads," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0283, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0283.
- SUPER FLOW SF 110/120 Flow bench Operator’s Manual 2005
- ÇENGEL , YUNUS A. ; CIMBALA JOHN M. Mêcanica dos Fluidos: Fundamentos e Aplicações 2007
- HILL P. G. ; ZHANG D. Effects of Swirl and Tumble on Combustion in Spark - Ignition Egines 1994
- HEYWOOD , J. B. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamental 1988
- BRUNETTI , FRANCO Motores de Combustão Interna 1 2012
- SUNLED Datasheet XPI-a5, disponível em http://www.sunled.com/ 23 03 2015
- SUPERFLOW Airflow Basics 2007
- MOHAMMADEBRAHIM A. ; SHAFIEI B. , KAZEMZADEH HANNANI S. Numerical simulation of in-cylinder tumble flow field measurements and comparison to experimental results 2013
- SAMIMI ABIANEH O. Investigation of Swirling and Tumbling Flow Pattern of Spark Ignition Engine 2009
- TOMONORI URUSHIHARA ; TSUTOMU NAKATA ; AKIHIKO KAKUHOU ; YASUO TAKAGI Effects of swirl and tumble motion on fuel vapor behavior and mixture stratification in lean burn engine 1996
- KIHYUNG LEE ; CHOONGSIK BAE ; KERNYONG KANG The effects of tumble and swirl flows on flame propagation in a four-valve S.I. engine 2007
- MINIPA Manual de Instruções 2001 http://www.minipa.com.br/Content/Manuais/MDT-2245B-1100-BR-EN-ES.pdf 22 03 2015
- HUANG R.F. ; HUANG C.W. ; CHANG S.B. ; YANG H.S. ; LIN T.W. ; HSU W.Y. Topological flow evolutions in cylinder of a motored engine during intake and compression strokes 2005
- http://www.aeroplas.com.br/ 23 03 15
- http://www.solidworks.com/ 07 04 15