This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Heavy Duty Valves with Enhanced Performance through Nitriding Treatment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nitriding is a well-known treatment in many engine components. In valves, it is very common on light vehicle applications. For heavy duty platforms, its use has been restricted due to considerations on temperature and structural resistance. However, it is known to be a very interesting concept regarding tribology, especially wear resistance, with a suitable compromise on cost. Due to the continuous increase of engine loads to attend different emission legislations, wear resistance became a key issue for valves.
MAHLE developed a nitriding treatment to be applied on Heavy Duty valves presenting superior wear resistance and suitable structural performance. Deep product validation is presented through rig and engine tests.
Not less important is the introduction of gas nitriding as an environmentally friendly process in replacement of the traditional and almost unique technique to proper nitride valve alloys, salt bath nitriding. Gas nitriding will assure the same valve performance with the advantage of employing a lower nitriding temperature that would assure a higher tip end and seat hardness combined with lower distortions.
CitationLerman, P. and de Almeida, R., "Heavy Duty Valves with Enhanced Performance through Nitriding Treatment," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0240, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0240.
- Lerman , P. , Ruch , R. and Petrini , R. Fully nitrided valves for medium and heavy duty engines ASM, ICEF Technical paper 2013-19049, Internal Combustion Engine Division, 2013 Fall Technical Conference
- Liliental , W. , Maldzinski , L. , Morawski , C. and Tymowski , G. Potential-controlled gas nitriding applied to gears Nitrex Metal, Inc. St. Laurennt, Québec, Canada
- Engine Poppet Valve Information Report SAE International, Surface Vehicle Information Report, SAE J775 August 1993 7 8
- Barreiro , J. Tratamientos Térmicos de los Aceros 8 a 1984 385 399
- ASM International - Metal Handbook 4 1991 404 405
- Fatigue testing - Statistical planning and analysis of data ISO 12107, Metallic Materials
- Stellite Technical Data Sheets, Tribaloy, Wear Resistant Intermetallic Materials