This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation of Butanol-Gasoline Blend Fuel with Different Fuel Injection Pressure
Published November 17, 2015 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Butanol is deemed as the potential alternative fuel for future development, and the previous researches show poor injection spray atomization when high butanol concentration blended fuel applying on stock small scooter engines.
In this research, a platform is built to observe the spray atomization phenomena with 2.5kg/cm2 (2.452bar) 、 3.5kg/cm2(3.433bar) injection pressures and various n-butanol volume percent concentration blended fuels, B60, B80 and B100. After that, engine experiments are undergone with above conditions under wide open throttle (WOT) with stoichiometric air fuel ratio (AFR) at 4000rpm. The experiment results are analyzed and discussed from different aspects eventually.
Injection spray observation shows that worse spray atomization appears accompanied with higher concentration blended fuel. But when the injection pressure increases, higher shear force acting on the injection spray improves the breakup of fuel and enhances the effect of fuel spray atomization.
The engine experimental results fuel spray with B80 and B100 blended fuel under 2.5 kg/cm2 result in poor performance due to much higher viscosity. But after rising up the injection pressure brings huge improvements performance. Also, the engine runs more steadily with smaller coefficient of variation (COV) of indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) whenever better spray atomization can be realized by increased injection pressures. In addition, because of faster combustion speed introduced by fully mixed air fuel mixture, shorter period of mass fraction burned (MFB) and higher heat release rate (HRR), which represent better engine performance.
CitationHsu, Y., Lin, H., Chung, C., and Wu, Y., "An Experimental Investigation of Butanol-Gasoline Blend Fuel with Different Fuel Injection Pressure," SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0784, 2015.
- Harvey Benjamin G. and Meylemans Heather A. 2010 The role of butanol in the development of sustainable fuel technologies Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 86 1 2 9 January 2011
- Wigg Benjamin R. 2011 A Study on The Emissions of Butanol using A Spark Ignition Engine and Their Reduction using Electrostatically Assisted Injection University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Shyu Jyuo-Min 2013 ITRI Forum : New Opportunities for Eco-Innovation 4 4th Quarter 2013
- Liu Ta-Chuan , Lin Zong-Da , Yeh Chia-Yun , Chen Yun-Yang 2013 The Feasibility Study of Low-concentration Butanol as Fuel onMotorcycle JSAE 20139134 / SAE 2013-32-9134 2013
- Chung Chia-Hong , Li Meng-Chieh , Tsai Hsien-Chi , Wu Yuh-Yih , Liu Ta-Chuan Investigation on Operation Characteristics of Alternative Fuel Formulated by Gasoline and Butanol in Motorcycle Engine 24th National Conference on Combustion and Energy No.099 2014
- Yang J. , Yang X. , Liu J. , Han Z. and Zhong Z. Dyno Test Investigations of Gasoline Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blends SAE paper No. 2009-01-1891
- Chung Chia-Hong , Hsu Yung-Hsiang , Syu Yong-Fu , Wu Yuh-Yih Investigation on High Concentration of Butanol Blend Fuel with Different Injection Timing in Motorcycle Port of Injection Engine 25th National Conference on Combustion and Energy No.036 2015
- Pulkrabek W. W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine 2nd Pearson Prentice-Hall 211 2004
- Prescher Karlheinz , Astachow Andrej Investigation of the Atomization and Evaporation of Diesel Fuel and Heavy Fuel Sprays Using Optical Measurement Techniques SAE paper No. 1999-01-0520 1999
- Bao , Y. , Chan , Q. , Kook , S. , and Hawkes , E. Spray Penetrations of Ethanol, Gasoline and Iso-Octane in an Optically Accessible Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 1010 1026 2014 10.4271/2014-01-9079
- Marchitto L. , Merola S. , and Tornatore C. Experimental Study on the Spray Atomization of a Multi-hole Injector for Spark Ignition Engines Fuelled by Gasoline and n-Butanol SAE paper No. 2014-01-2743