This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Online Engine Speed Based Adaptation of Combustion Phasing and Air-Fuel Ratio: Evaluation of Feature Quality
Published November 17, 2015 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
In the Indian two-wheeler market, legislation and customers demand for a reduction of emissions and an increase of fuel efficiency. For two-wheelers with engine management systems, a cost-efficient approach for this trend exploits that the periodical fluctuation of the engine speed of single cylinder engines contains useful information about its operating conditions. The present article focuses on the quality of the estimation of combustion phasing and air-fuel ratio of a 125cc single cylinder motorcycle engine, obtained from the evaluation of these fluctuations.
The robustness of an oxygen sensor-less port fuel injection system can be increased by using the estimated air-fuel ratio to adapt the parameters of the fuel injection algorithm. The investigations have been carried out only on one bike so far, and have indicated the following accuracies: with the implemented resource optimized algorithm the combustion phasing can be estimated up to ±5°ca accurate with a good reproducibility even after long term operation on a chassis dynamometer. The observed influence of engine temperature was insignificant. The air-fuel ratio feature showed an accuracy of about ±3% in a wide operating range for lambda values smaller than 1.05.
Furthermore it is shown that reaching Indian emission legislation Bharat Stage 4 with a PFI system relying only on feed forward control of the air-fuel ratio is possible.
CitationHeikes, H., Gadkari, G., Steinbrecher, C., Linder, C. et al., "Online Engine Speed Based Adaptation of Combustion Phasing and Air-Fuel Ratio: Evaluation of Feature Quality," SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0749, 2015.
- Schuerg , F. , Kulzer , A. , Kufferath , A. , Manikandan , K. et al. Advanced Combustion System Analyses on a 125cc Motorcycle Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 812 824 2012
- Seuling , S. , Hamedovic , H. , Fischer , W. , Schürg , F. Model Based Engine Speed Evaluation for Single-Cylinder Engine Control SAE International TechnicalPaper 2012-32-0044 2012
- Hamedovic , H. Untersuchungen zur Rekonstruktion zylinderindividueller Verbrennungsmerkmale durch gemeinsame Auswertung der Drehzahl und des Brennraumdrucks eines Zylinders Ph.D. thesis. Ruhr-Universität Bochum 2005
- Steinbrecher , C. , Reineke , B. , Berkemer , J. , Heikes , H. et al. Online Engine Speed Based Adaptation of Air Charge for Two- Wheelers SAE Int. J. Engines 6 4 2085 2091 2013
- Heikes , H. , Steinbrecher , C. , Reineke , B. , Berkemer , J. et al. Online Engine Speed based Altitude Adaptation of Air Charge and Limp Home for Two-Wheelers SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 175 181 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0067
- Steinbrecher , C. , Reineke , B. , Fischer , W. , Heikes , H. et al. Online Engine Speed based Adaptation of Combustion Phasing and Air-Fuel Ratio SAE Int. J. Engines 8 1 182 191 2015 10.4271/2014-32-0076