This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Systematic Approach to Design Hand Controlled Parking Brake System for Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is an attempt to compile a systematic approach which can be easily incorporated in the product development system used in the design and development of parking brake systems for passenger cars having rear drum brakes, which in turn can effectively reduce the lead time and give improved performance. The vehicle GVW, percentage gradient and maximum effort limits (as per IS 11852 - Part 3), tire and drum brake specifications were taken as front loading. This data is used for target setting of functional and engineering parameters, such as lever pull effort, lever ratio and angular travel of lever. Design calculations were performed to obtain theoretical values of critical parameters like lever effort and travel. The comparison between target and theoretical values give the initial confidence to the system engineer. Further, the outcome was taken to conceptualize the hard points of lever on vehicle for ergonomics. The problem faced during the design phase is to maintain system efficiency, which has been explored in terms of system configuration, cable construction types, routing schemes etc. Various trials and validation tests are provided to correlate with the theoretical model.
Our effort to put together every significant aspect with industry practice and design philosophy indeed creates a frame work which can deliver a fully functional parking brake system with fewer iterations, delivering desired performance while meeting effort targets.
CitationLunia, P., Prajapati, M., Jayashankar, V., Parakh, V. et al., "Systematic Approach to Design Hand Controlled Parking Brake System for Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0078, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0078.
- Rozainia A H , Ishak M R , Abu Bakar A R , and Mohd Zain M Z Performance of a fully mechanical parking brake system for passenger cars Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia 81310 Johor, Malaysia
- Stoloff , P. A Study of Parking Brake Cable Efficiency as Affected by Construction Type SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 3 1437 1444 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2380
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety Second Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1999 978-156091-915-5
- McKinlay A J , Brooks P C , and Barton D C 2006 A Study of Vehicle Handbrake Rollaway: Theoretical, Numerical and Experimental Assessment Vehicle Braking Technology IMechE
- Cross , A. Designing Parking Brake Systems for Lower Efforts SAE Technical Paper 760785 1976 10.4271/760785