This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Injection Strategies, Optimization and Simulation Techniques on DI CNG Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
CNG has long since been established as a front runner amongst other available alternative fuels. In India, its infrastructure and penetration far exceeds others. While other, more efficient alternatives are been researched, CNG has established itself in the market as the alternative fuel of choice for majority of Indians. CNG technology has evolved itself from the basic venturi system to the more efficient sequential injection system nowadays. While the efficiency of an engine using sequential injection CNG has increased, the inherent problem with respect to lower volumetric efficiency and hence less power still persists.
Direct injection CNG technology is seen as the solution to this age old problem. In the older days, the lack of technological expertise in SI direct fuel injection provided a stumbling block for development of direct gas injection. But with the surge in technological advancement lately, especially in the gasoline direct injection area has opened new avenues for development of gas direct injection technology. DI CNG technology has the benefits of increased power, improved BSFC and lower emissions. Further the challenges in this technology are lower injector life and expensive modifications in the MPFI technology.
In this paper we look at the various injection strategies, experiments and simulation analysis carried out worldwide on DI CNG technology and the potential this area has in unleashing the true benefits of CNG fuel. Further this research will help us in developing our own DI CNG engine in the future.
CitationThipse, S., Sonawane, S., D' Souza, A., Rairikar, S. et al., "Injection Strategies, Optimization and Simulation Techniques on DI CNG Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0046, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-26-0046.
- Midhun , V. , Karthikeyan , S. , Nagarajan , Krishnan , S. et al. Development of CNG Injection Engine to Meet Future Euro-V Emission Norms for LCV Applications SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0002 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0002
- Khatri , D. and Rungta , P. Development and Evaluation of a Multipoint Gas Injection System for a Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0067 2008 10.4271/2008-28-0067
- Kalam , M. , Masjuki , H. , Mahlia , T. , Fuad , M. et al. Experimental Test of a New Compressed Natural Gas Engine with Direct Injection SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1967 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1967
- Shah , A. , Thipse , S. , Tyagi , A. , Rairikar , S. et al. Literature Review and Simulation of Dual Fuel Diesel-CNG Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0001 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0001
- Thipse , S. , Kavathekar , K. , Rairikar , S. , Tyagi , A. et al. Development of Environment Friendly Diesel-CNG Dual Fuel Engine for Heavy Duty Vehicle Application in India SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0015 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0015
- Korakianitis , Namasivayam and Crookes Natural-gas fueled spark-ignition (SI) and compression-ignition (CI) engine performance and emissions Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37 2011 89e112
- Mustafa and Bülent Fuel Injection Siano Daniela Instituto Motori - CNR Italy
- The technology roadmap report Supplier Business Ltd, An IHS Global Insight Company,2009 Gasoline Direct Injection 204 206
- Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines ZHAO F. , LAI M.-C. , HARRINGTON D.L.
- Taib Natural Gas edited by Primo Polocnik, Compressed natural gas direct injection Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (National University Malaysia) Malaysia August 2010
- Fawzi Mohd Ali , M. , Kodoguchi , Y. , Oka , Y. , and Kaida , T. Improvement of Combustion of CNG Engine using CNG Direct Injection and Gas-jet Ignition Method SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1994 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1994
- Hu , C. and Hou , S. Investigations on Combustion Process of Low-pressure CNG Compound Direct Injection Spark-ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0052 2010 10.4271/2010-32-0052
- Mohammed et al The effects of fuel-injection timing at medium injection pressure on the engine characteristics and emissions of a CNG-DI engine fueled by a small amount of hydrogen in CNG International journal of hydrogen energy 36 2011 11997 12006
- Zeng Ke et al Combustion characteristics of a direct-injection natural gas engine under various fuel injection timings Applied Thermal Engineering 26 2006 806 813
- A-Aziz , A. and Firmansyah The Effect of Fuel Rail Pressure on the Performance of a CNG-Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1498 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1498
- Tadesse , G. , Rashid , A. , and Aziz , A. Effect of Boost Pressure on Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions in Direct-Injection Compressed Natural Gas (CNG-DI) Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0135 2009
- HA J. Y. , PARK J. S. and KANG J. H. Effects of the throttle opening ratio and the injection timing of CNG on the combustion characteristics of a DI engine International Journal of Automotive Technology 11 1 11 17 2010 10.1007/s12239-010-0002-8
- Sahari Barkawi B. et al. Development of a Prototype Compressed Natural Gas Direct Injection Vehicle - A Malaysian Experience
- Goto , Y. and Sato , Y. NOx Reduction on Direct Injection Natural Gas Engines SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3608 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3608
- Wang , D. and Watson , H. Direct Injection Compressed Natural Gas Combustion and Visualisation SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1838 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1838
- Dumitrescu , S. , Hill , P. , Li , G. , and Ouellette , P. Effects of Injection Changes on Efficiency and Emissions of a Diesel Engine Fueled by Direct Injection of Natural Gas SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1805 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1805
- Boretti , A. , Lappas , P. , Zhang , B. , and Mazlan , S. CNG Fueling Strategies for Commercial Vehicles Engines-A Literature Review SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2812 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2812
- Harrington , J. , Munshi , S. , Nedelcu , C. , Ouellette , P. et al. Direct Injection of Natural Gas in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1630 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1630
- Abdullah Shahrir et al Numerical Analysis of the Combustion Process in a Compressed Natural Gas Direct Injection Engine Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics 1 2 65 86 2008 1735-3645
- Chiodi , M. , Berner , H. , and Bargende , M. Investigation on different Injection Strategies in a Direct-Injected Turbocharged CNG-Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3000 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3000
- Yadollahi , B. and Boroomand , M. The Effect of Piston Head Geometry on Natural Gas Direct Injection and Mixture Formation in a SI Engine with Centrally Mounted Single-Hole Injector SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2448 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2448