This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrocracked Fossil Oil and Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Effects on Combustion and Emissions Performance of “Torque-Controlled” Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present paper describes the results of a research activity aimed at studying the potential offered by the use of Hydrocracked fossil oil (HCK) and Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) blends as premium fuels for next generation diesel engines.
Five fuels have been tested in a light duty four cylinder diesel engine, Euro 5 version, equipped with closed loop control of the combustion. The set of fuels comprises four experimental fuels specifically formulated by blending high cetane HVO and HCK streams and oneEN590-compliant commercial diesel fuel representative of the current market fuel quality.
A well consolidated procedure has been carried out to estimate, for the tested fuels, the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) vehicle performance by means of the specific emissions at steady-state engine operating points. The procedure included combustion, emission and fuel consumption analysis at seven steady state partial speed/loads test points which are representative of the urban and extra-urban part of the engine homologation cycle (NEDC) and at high speed/high load engine operating condition outside the NEDC area.
The results of the experimental activity proved that HCK-HVO blends give several benefits when used in modern Euro 5 automotive engines. While Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) emission are mainly controlled by the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) level, all other engine emissions and comfort parameters can be significantly improved significantly by using specific fuels tailored blended for light duty engines.
The research also pointed also out the predominant role of the HVO natural high cetane number on the emissions and Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NHV) performance.
CitationNapolitano, P., Beatrice, C., Guido, C., Del Giacomo, N. et al., "Hydrocracked Fossil Oil and Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Effects on Combustion and Emissions Performance of “Torque-Controlled” Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2497, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2497.
- Devlin , C. , Passut , C. , Campbell , R. , and Jao , T. Biodiesel Fuel Effect on Diesel Engine Lubrication SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2375 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2375
- Di Iorio , S. , Beatrice , C. , Guido , C. , Napolitano , P. et al. Impact of Biodiesel on Particle Emissions and DPF Regeneration Management in a Euro5 Automotive Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0839 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0839
- Barker , J. , Richard , P. , Snape , C. , and Meredith , W. Diesel Injector Deposits - An Issue That Has Evolved with Engine Technology SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1923 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1923
- Hartikka , T. , Kuronen , M. , and Kiiski , U. Technical Performance of HVO (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1585 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1585
- Aatola , H. , Larmi , M. , Sarjovaara , T. , and Mikkonen , S. Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) as a Renewable Diesel Fuel: Trade-off between NOx, Particulate Emission, and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1251 1262 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2500
- Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) Premium renewable biofuel for diesel engine. NESTE OIL report September 2014
- Sugiyama , K. , Goto , I. , Kitano , K. , Mogi , K. et al. Effects of Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) as Renewable Diesel Fuel on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5 1 205 217 2012 10.4271/2011-01-1954
- Millo , F. , Mallamo , F. , Vlachos , T. , Ciaravino , C. et al. Experimental Investigation on the Effects on Performance and Emissions of an Automotive Euro 5 Diesel Engine Fuelled with B30 from RME and HVO SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1679 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1679
- Jaroonjitsathian , S. , Saisirirat , P. , Sivara , K. , Tongroon , M. et al. Effects of GTL and HVO Blended Fuels on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of a Common-Rail DI Diesel Technology SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2763 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2763
- Duckhan Kim , Seonghwan Kim , Sehun Oh , Soo-Young , No Engine performance and emission characteristics of hydrotreated vegetable oil in light duty diesel engines Fuel 125 1 June 2014 36 43 0016-2361
- Bhardwaj , O. , Kolbeck , A. , Kkoerfer , T. , and Honkanen , M. Potential of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (HVO) in Future High Efficiency Combustion System SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 157 169 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1677
- Liu , D. , Xu , H. , Tian , J. , Tan , C. et al. Cold and Warm Start Characteristics using HVO and RME Blends in a V6 Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 2 478 485 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1306
- Tan , C. , Xu , H. , Shuai , S. , Ghafourian , A. et al. Investigation on Transient Emissions of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Fuelled by HVO Blends SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1046 1058 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1307
- Steegstra J. et al. New Hydrocracker UnitsatENISuccessfully Started Up 2010 http://core.theenergyexchange.co.uk/agile_assets/1170/Day_1_-_13_11.25_Jan_Steegstra_CEE_October_2010_CLG_Presentation_rev_8_oct_2010.pdf
- Pellegrini , L. , Beatrice , C. , and Di Blasio , G. Investigation of the Effect of Compression Ratio on the Combustion Behavior and Emission Performance of HVO Blended Diesel Fuels in a Single-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0898 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0898
- Baldiraghi , F. , Di Stanislao , M. , Faraci , G. , Perego , C. et al. Ecofining: New Process for Green Diesel Production from Vegetable Oil chapter 8 in “Sustainable Industrial Chemistry Wiley-VCH Verlag 2009 10.1002/9783527629114.ch8
- Kolbeck , A. Closed Loop Combustion Control - Enabler of Future Refined Engine Performance Regarding Power, Efficiency, Emissions & NVH under Stringent Governmental Regulations SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0171 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0171
- Ciaravino , C. , Guido , C. , Vassallo , A. , and Beatrice , C. The Key Role of the Closed-loop Combustion Control for Exploiting the Potential of Biodiesel in a Modern Diesel Engine for Passenger Car Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2576 2589 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0005
- AVL application note AT1007E Rev. 02 10.4271/2011-37-00052005 www.avl.com
- Mueller , C. , RasRobotti B. , Wesslau , M. , Drangel , H et al. Opel's new 2.0L BiTurbo Diesel engine with highly innovative CleanTech combustion concept MTZ Worldwide 2009
- Zannis , T. , Hountalas , D. , Papagiannakis , R. , and Levendis , Y. Effect of Fuel Chemical Structure and Properties on Diesel Engine Performance and Pollutant Emissions: Review of the Results of Four European Research Programs SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 384 419 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0838
- Signer , M. , Heinze , P. , Mercogliano , R. , and Stein , H. European Programme on Emissions, Fuels and Engine Technologies (EPEFE)-Heavy Duty Diesel Study SAE Technical Paper 961074 1996 10.4271/961074
- Bertoli , C. , Beatrice , C. , Di Stasio , S. , and Del Giacomo , N. In-Cylinder Soot and NOx Concentration Measurements in D.I. Diesel Engine Fed by Fuels of Varying Quality SAE Technical Paper 960832 1996 10.4271/960832
- Bertoli , C. , Del Giacomo , N. , Beatrice , C. , and Migliaccio , M. Evaluation of Combustion Behavior and Pollutants Emission of Advanced Fuel Formulations by Single Cylinder Engine Experiments SAE Technical Paper 982492 1998 10.4271/982492
- Beatrice C. , Guido C. , Di Iorio S. Experimental analysis of alternative fuel impact on a new “torque-controlled” light-duty diesel engine for passenger cars Fuel 89 11 November 2010 3278 3286 0016-2361 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2010.03.054
- Kuronen , M. , Mikkonen , S. , Aakko , P. , and Murtonen , T. Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil as Fuel for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4031 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4031
- Guido , C. , Beatrice , C. , Di Iorio , S. , Fraioli , V. et al. Alternative Diesel Fuels Effects on Combustion and Emissions of an Euro5 Automotive Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 107 132 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0472
- Beatrice C. , Belardini P. , Bertoli C. , Lisbona M.G. , Migliaccio M.na Combustion Patterns in Common Rail D.I. Engines Inferred by Experiments and CFD computations Combustion Science and Technology 162 1 2001
- Ruggero A. et al Combustion Technologies to meet Euro 6 Emissions Standards on a Diesel D-segment Passenger Car Proceedings of the SIA International Conference : Le Moteur Diesel / Diesel Engine Rouen - INSA Rouen France 28 & 29 May 2008
- Ickes , A. M. , Bohac S. V. , Assanis D. N. Effect of 2-Ethylhexyl Nitrate Cetane Improver on NOx Emissions from Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion Energy&Fuels 2009 23 4943 4948 10.1021/ef900408e