This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Split Injections on the Performance of a GDI Engine Under Lean Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection (GDI) allows flexible operation of spark ignition engines for reduced fuel consumption and low pollutants emissions. The choice of the best combination of the different parameters that affect the energy conversion process and the environmental impact of a given engine may either resort to experimental characterizations or to computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Under this perspective, present work is aimed at discussing the assessment of a CFD-optimization (CFD-O) procedure for the highest performance of a GDI engine operated lean under both single and double injection strategies realized during compression.
An experimental characterization of a 4-stroke 4-cylinder optically accessible engine, working stratified lean under single injection, is first carried out to collect a set of data necessary for the validation of a properly developed 3D engine model. Homogeneous lean operation is not considered due to the consequent high instability of the engine under study as injection is too much advanced. The 3D engine model is used to explore the main advantages deriving from modulating injection on the engine power output and the main pollutants formation. The model is then exploited to perform an optimization analysis searching for the injection and spark advance synchronization within the working cycle being optimal for the combustion development.
Numerical simulations allow clarifying the effects of multiple injections on the engine power output and the NO and CO emissions, besides offering the way to study the combustion process and the occurrence of the adverse phasing deriving from variations of the spark timing. The obtained results are finally used to drive a further experimental campaign that substantially confirms the main conclusions of the CFD-O, at least qualitatively.
CitationCosta, M., Catapano, F., Marseglia, G., Sorge, U. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Split Injections on the Performance of a GDI Engine Under Lean Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2413, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2413.
- Zhao, H., “Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development”, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, 2010.
- Alkidas, A.C., “Combustion Advancements in Gasoline Engines”, Energy Conversion and Management. 48: 2751-2761, 2007.
- Taylor, A.M.K.P., “Science Review of Internal Combustion Engines”, Energy Policy. 36 (12): 4657-4667, 2008.
- Gasoline direct injection. Key technology for greater efficiency and dynamics, available at: http://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/media/en/ubk_europe/db_application/downloads/pdf/antrieb/de_5/Bosch_di_folder.pdf.
- Kuwahara, K., Yamamoto, S., Iwachidou, K., Ando, H., “Two-stage combustion for quick catalyst warm-up in gasoline direct injection engine”, COMODIA, Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines 1998.
- Kuwahara, K., Ueda, K., and Ando, H., “Mixing Control Strategy for Engine Performance Improvement in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980158, 1998, doi:10.4271/980158.
- Li, T., Nishida, Zhang, Y., Hiroyasu, Y., “Effect of split injection on stratified charge formation of direct injection spark ignition engines”, International Journal of Engine Research. 8: 2205-2219, 2007.
- Li, T., Nishida, K., Zhang, Y., Once, T., Hiroyau, H., “Enhancement of stratified charge for DISI engines through split injection: effect and its mechanism, in Advanced combustion technology in internal combustion engines”, JSME International Journal, Series B, Fluids and Thermal Engineering. 48(4): 687-694, 2005.
- Oh, H., Bae, C., Park, J., and Jeon, J., “Effect of the Multiple Injection on Stratified Combustion Characteristics in a Spray-Guided DISI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0059, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0059.
- Costa, M., Sorge, U., Allocca, L., “Increasing energy efficiency of a gasoline direct injection engine through optimal synchronization of single or double injection strategies”, Energy Conversion and Management. 60: 77-86, 2012.
- Wislocki, K. Pielecha, I., Maslennikov, D., Czajka, J., “Thermodynamic aspects of combustion in gasoline engines fitted with a multiple fuel injection”, Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport. 18 (4): 543-553, 2011.
- Costa, M., Sorge, U., Merola, S., Irimescu, A., La Villetta, M., Rocco, V., “Split injection in a HOS GDI engine for high combustion efficiency and low pollutants emission”, Proceedings of ECOS 2015, The 28th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems, 2015.
- Bernardin J. D., Mudawar I., “Transition Boiling Heat Transfer of Droplets Streams and Sprays”, Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 129, pp. 1605-1610, 2007.
- Thévenin, D. and Janiga, G., “Optimization and Computational Fluid dynamics”, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2008.
- Gen, M. and Chen, R., “Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Optimization”, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2000.
- Catapano, F., Sementa, P., and Vaglieco, B., “Design for an Optically Accessible Multicylinder High Performance GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0046, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-24-0046.
- Costa, M., Sorge, U., Allocca, L., “CFD Optimization for GDI Spray Model Tuning and Enhancement of Engine Performance”, Advances in Engineering Software. 49: 43-53, 2012.
- Costa, M., Sorge, U., Sementa, P., Vaglieco, B.M., “Modeling and performance optimization of a direct injection spark ignition engine for the avoidance of knocking” 4th International Conference on Simulation and Modeling, Methodologies, Technologies and Applications-Simultech, 2014.
- Zeldovich, Y. B., Sadovnikov, P. Y., Frank-Kamenetskii, D. A., “Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion, Translation by M. Shelef,” Academy of Sciences of USSR, Institute of Chemical Physics, Moscow-Leningrad, 1947.
- Kuhnke, D., “Spray Wall Interaction Modeling by Dimensionless Data Analysis,” PhD Thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt, 2004.
- Allocca, L., Costa, M., Montanaro, A., Sorge, U., “GDI spray impact characterization by optical techniques for the assessment of 3D numerical models”, The 2015 International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, 2015, isbn: 978-1-61804-288-0.
- Colin, O., Benkenida, A., Angelberger, C., “3D modeling of mixing, ignition and combustion phenomena in highly stratified gasoline engines”, Oil & gas science and technology. 58(1): 47-62, 2003.
- Zeldovich, Y. A., Frank-Kamenetskii, D., Sadovnikov, P, “Oxidation of nitrogen in combustion”, Publishing House of the Acad of Sciences of USSR, 1947.
- Wiseman, M. W. “Spark ignition engine combustion process analysis”, Diss. University of Nottingham, 1990.
- Drake, M., Fansler, T., Solomon, A., and Szekely, G., “Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0547.