This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Split Injections on the Performance of a GDI Engine Under Lean Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 06, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection (GDI) allows flexible operation of spark ignition engines for reduced fuel consumption and low pollutants emissions. The choice of the best combination of the different parameters that affect the energy conversion process and the environmental impact of a given engine may either resort to experimental characterizations or to computational fluid dynamics (CFD). Under this perspective, present work is aimed at discussing the assessment of a CFD-optimization (CFD-O) procedure for the highest performance of a GDI engine operated lean under both single and double injection strategies realized during compression.
An experimental characterization of a 4-stroke 4-cylinder optically accessible engine, working stratified lean under single injection, is first carried out to collect a set of data necessary for the validation of a properly developed 3D engine model. Homogeneous lean operation is not considered due to the consequent high instability of the engine under study as injection is too much advanced. The 3D engine model is used to explore the main advantages deriving from modulating injection on the engine power output and the main pollutants formation. The model is then exploited to perform an optimization analysis searching for the injection and spark advance synchronization within the working cycle being optimal for the combustion development.
Numerical simulations allow clarifying the effects of multiple injections on the engine power output and the NO and CO emissions, besides offering the way to study the combustion process and the occurrence of the adverse phasing deriving from variations of the spark timing. The obtained results are finally used to drive a further experimental campaign that substantially confirms the main conclusions of the CFD-O, at least qualitatively.
CitationCosta, M., Catapano, F., Marseglia, G., Sorge, U. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Split Injections on the Performance of a GDI Engine Under Lean Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2413, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2413.
- Zhao , H. Advanced Direct Injection Combustion Engine Technologies and Development Woodhead Publishing Limited Cambridge 2010
- Alkidas , A.C. Combustion Advancements in Gasoline Engines Energy Conversion and Management 48 2751 2761 2007
- Taylor , A.M.K.P. Science Review of Internal Combustion Engines Energy Policy 36 12 4657 4667 2008
- Gasoline direct injection Key technology for greater efficiency and dynamics http://www.bosch-mobility-solutions.com/media/en/ubk_europe/db_application/downloads/pdf/antrieb/de_5/Bosch_di_folder.pdf
- Kuwahara , K. , Yamamoto , S. , Iwachidou , K. , Ando , H. Two-stage combustion for quick catalyst warm-up in gasoline direct injection engine COMODIA, Proceedings of the Fourth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines 1998
- Kuwahara , K. , Ueda , K. , and Ando , H. Mixing Control Strategy for Engine Performance Improvement in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 980158 1998 10.4271/980158
- Li , T. , Nishida , Zhang , Y. , Hiroyasu , Y. Effect of split injection on stratified charge formation of direct injection spark ignition engines International Journal of Engine Research 8 2205 2219 2007
- Li , T. , Nishida , K. , Zhang , Y. , Once , T. , Hiroyau , H. Enhancement of stratified charge for DISI engines through split injection: effect and its mechanism, in Advanced combustion technology in internal combustion engines JSME International Journal, Series B, Fluids and Thermal Engineering 48 4 687 694 2005
- Oh , H. , Bae , C. , Park , J. , and Jeon , J. Effect of the Multiple Injection on Stratified Combustion Characteristics in a Spray-Guided DISI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0059 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0059
- Costa , M. , Sorge , U. , Allocca , L. Increasing energy efficiency of a gasoline direct injection engine through optimal synchronization of single or double injection strategies Energy Conversion and Management 60 77 86 2012
- Wislocki , K. Pielecha , I. , Maslennikov , D. , Czajka , J. Thermodynamic aspects of combustion in gasoline engines fitted with a multiple fuel injection Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport 18 4 543 553 2011
- Costa , M. , Sorge , U. , Merola , S. , Irimescu , A. , La Villetta , M. , Rocco , V. Split injection in a HOS GDI engine for high combustion efficiency and low pollutants emission Proceedings of ECOS 2015, The 28 th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact of Energy Systems 2015
- Bernardin J. D. , Mudawar I. Transition Boiling Heat Transfer of Droplets Streams and Sprays Journal of Heat Transfer 129 1605 1610 2007
- Thévenin , D. and Janiga , G. Optimization and Computational Fluid dynamics Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg 2008
- Gen , M. and Chen , R. Genetic Algorithms and Engineering Optimization John Wiley & Sons New York 2000
- Catapano , F. , Sementa , P. , and Vaglieco , B. Design for an Optically Accessible Multicylinder High Performance GDI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0046 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0046
- Costa , M. , Sorge , U. , Allocca , L. CFD Optimization for GDI Spray Model Tuning and Enhancement of Engine Performance Advances in Engineering Software 49 43 53 2012
- Costa , M. , Sorge , U. , Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B.M. Modeling and performance optimization of a direct injection spark ignition engine for the avoidance of knocking 4th International Conference on Simulation and Modeling, Methodologies, Technologies and Applications-Simultech 2014
- Zeldovich , Y. B. , Sadovnikov , P. Y. , Frank-Kamenetskii , D. A. Oxidation of Nitrogen in Combustion, Translation by M. Shelef Academy of Sciences of USSR, Institute of Chemical Physics Moscow-Leningrad 1947
- Kuhnke , D. Spray Wall Interaction Modeling by Dimensionless Data Analysis PhD Thesis Technische Universität Darmstadt 2004
- Allocca , L. , Costa , M. , Montanaro , A. , Sorge , U. GDI spray impact characterization by optical techniques for the assessment of 3D numerical models The 2015 International Conference on Mechanical Engineering 2015 978-1-61804-288-0
- Colin , O. , Benkenida , A. , Angelberger , C. 3D modeling of mixing, ignition and combustion phenomena in highly stratified gasoline engines Oil & gas science and technology 58 1 47 62 2003
- Zeldovich , Y. A. , Frank-Kamenetskii , D. , Sadovnikov , P Oxidation of nitrogen in combustion Publishing House of the Acad of Sciences of USSR 1947
- Wiseman , M. W. Spark ignition engine combustion process analysis Diss. University of Nottingham 1990
- Drake , M. , Fansler , T. , Solomon , A. , and Szekely , G. Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0547