This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of Single Seat, Four Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle for Baja Collegiate Design Series
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There has been a rapid increase in popularity of multipurpose All-terrain vehicles (ATV) across the globe over the past few years. SAE BAJA event gives student-community an opportunity to delve deeper into the nitty-gritty of designing a single seat, four-wheeled off road vehicle. The design and development methodology presented in this paper is useful in conceptualization of an ATV for SAE BAJA event. The vehicle is divided into various subsystems including chassis, suspension, drive train, steering, and braking system. Further these subsystems are designed and comprehensively analyzed in software like SolidWorks, ANSYS, WINGEO and MS-Excel.
The 3-D model of roll cage is designed in SolidWorks and analyzed in ANSYS 9.0 for front, rear and side impact along with front and side roll-over conditions. Special case of wheel bump is also analyzed. Weight, wall thickness and bending strength of tubing used for roll cage are comprehensively studied. Suspension geometry is optimized using WINGEO software by performing ride, roll and steer iterations. FEA of suspension parts is done in SolidWorks. Special case of bump-steer is also taken into consideration. Two front and single central rear disc brake is proposed to reduce the un-sprung mass, and also for better packaging. FEA of brake disc is performed in CosmosWorks. Chain-Sprocket system in conjunction with a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) is used. Centre distance and angle of lap are optimized for reduced overall size of drive train for better vehicle dynamics.
The vehicle is designed ergonomically to maximize driver efficiency. Complete isolation of driver cockpit, position of steering wheel, egress/ingress dynamics are considered for optimized design. DFMEA of sub-assemblies and components is also undertaken in order to aid design validation.
The design of vehicle subsystems is further detailed in the following paper.
|Technical Paper||Modeling and Simulation of the Transmission System Dynamics of a System Equipped with a CVT for Mini-Baja Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Virtual testing of brakes|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Brake Balance via the Computer|
- Yogesh Sharma - Delhi College of Engineering
- Rohit Kumar Garg - Delhi Technological University
- Rishabh Raj Bhargava - Delhi Technological University
- Aadityeshwar Saran Singh Deo - Schlumberger
- Aditya Krishna - Schlumberger
- Shubham Garg - Delhi College of Engineering
- Rahul Mehendiratta - Schlumberger
- Ankit Goila - TRW Automotive
CitationSharma, Y., Garg, R., Bhargava, R., Singh Deo, A. et al., "Design and Development of Single Seat, Four Wheeled All-Terrain Vehicle for Baja Collegiate Design Series," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2863, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2863.
- Beer , F. , Johnston , R. , and Dewolf , J. 2006 Mechanics of Materials McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- Shigly , J. , Mischke , C. , and Budynas , R. 2004 Mechanical Engineering Design McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- Nelson , C.A. , and Davis , T.B. 2004 Millwights and Mechanics Guide Wiley Publishing, Inc
- Miller , R. and Miller , M.R. 2004 Machine Shop Tools & Operations Wiley Publishing, Inc
- Den Hartog , J.P. 1977 Strength of Materials Dover Publications, Inc.
- Oberg , E. , Jones , F.D. , Horton , H.L. , and Ryffel , H.H. 2004 Machinery's Handbook, Industrial Press Industrial Press, Inc.
- Vickers , M. 2006 Smooth Ride: ATV Suspension Market Report http://www.atvindustry.com/features/may06/suspension/index.html
- Gears Manufacturers http://www.gearsmanufacturers.com/
- West Coast Differentials http://www.differentials.com/
- Gillespie , T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1992 978-1-56091-199-9
- Dixon , J. The Shock Absorber Handbook Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1999 978-0-7680-1843-1
- Staniforth , A. 1999 Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, Tuning Haynes Publishing
- Rattan , S.S. 2009 Theory of Machines Tata McGraw-Hill Companies Inc.
- Costin and Phipps 1974 Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design B T Batsford Ltd. London
- Khurmi , R.S. 2005 Textbook on Machine Design Euraisa Publishing House
- Owens , A. , Jarmulowicz , M. , and Jones , P. Structural Considerations of a Baja SAE Frame SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3626 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3626
- Kenedi , P. , Pacheco , P. , Vieira , R. , Jorge , J. et al. Dynamic Experimental Analysis of a Mini-Baja Vehicle Front Suspension SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3846 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3846