This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Pumping Loss Hydraulic Retarder with Helium Circulation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The hydraulic retarder, an important auxiliary brake, has been widely used in heavy vehicles. Under the non-braking working condition, the air resistance torque in the working chamber, which is formed by the rotor of hydraulic retarder's stirring the air, causes pumping loss. This research designs a new type of hydraulic retarder, whose helium is charged into working chamber through closed loop gas system under non-braking working condition, can reduce the parasitic power loss of transmission system. First, under non-braking working condition, the resistance characteristics are analyzed on the base of hydraulic retarder pumping model; then, considering some parameters, such as the volume of chambers and the initial gas pressure, the working chamber gas charge model is established, and the transient gas charge characteristics are also analyzed under non-braking working condition. Finally, the helium circulation model is established, and the impact of the circulation system parameters on the retarder's oil filling time is analyzed. The results show that the retarder's helium charge system can reduce the pumping loss by more than 70% comparing with traditional hydraulic retarder, while the circulation system can achieve a 3% working chamber oil charge time reduction and raise the response rate of retarder.
- Yuandong Liu - Wuhan University of Technology
- Gangfeng Tan - Wuhan University of Technology
- Xuexun Guo - Wuhan University of Technology
- Li Zhou - Wuhan University of Technology
- Wenbin Liu - Wuhan University of Technology
- Zhiqiang Hu - Wuhan University of Technology
- Kangping Ji - Wuhan University of Technology
- Binyu Mei - Wuhan University of Technology
CitationLiu, Y., Tan, G., Guo, X., Zhou, L. et al., "Low Pumping Loss Hydraulic Retarder with Helium Circulation System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2801, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2801.
- Shi Kai Nan. Auxiliary braking performance of vehicle hydraulic retarder [D].Xi An: Chang'an University, 2009.
- Cao Yu Ping. Yan Xiang An. Pneumatic Drive and Control [M]. Tian Jin: Tianjin University Press, 2010.
- Huang Su Yi, Liu Wei. Higher Heat Transfer Engineering [M]. Bei Jing: China Electric Power Press, 2006
- Bergman TL, Lavine AS, Incropera FP, Dewitt DP. Fundamentals of heat and mass transfer. 7th ed. USA: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
- Ghazi M, Ahmadi P, Sotoodeh AF, Taherkhani A. Modeling and thermoeconomic optimization of heat recovery heat exchangers using a multimodal genetic algorithm. Energy Convers Manage 2012;58:149-56.
- Lemmon E, Huber M, Mclinden M. NIST reference fluid ther modynamic and transport properties REFPROP, version 8.0. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST); 2007.
- Li Xue Song. Optimization methods research of vehicle hydraulic retarder based on the analysis of the unsteady flow field [D]. Jilin University, 2010.6.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection. The reference values of useful life and mileage of the vehicle summary tables. 2013.
- Zhang Cong Zhu. Chinese Environmental Impact Assessment Course [M]. 2002, ISBN: 7-80163-397-0