This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application and Validation of CAE Methods for Comprehensive Durability Assessment of Leaf Springs with Measurement and Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Securing the desired strength and durability characteristics of suspension components is one of the most important topics in the development of commercial vehicles because these components undergo multiaxial variable amplitude loading. Leaf springs are essential for the suspension systems of trucks and they are considered as security relevant components in the product development phase. In order to guide the engineers in the design and testing department, a simulation method is developed as explained by Bakir et al. in a recently published SAE paper . The main aim of the present study is to illustrate the validation of this simulation method for the durability of leaf springs based on the results from testing and measurements.
In order to verify this CAE Method, the calculated stresses on the leaf springs are compared with the results of strain gage measurements and the fatigue failures of leaf springs are correlated with the calculated damage values. In this study, the simulation results of different type of leaf springs in the front and rear axle truck suspension systems are presented together with the confirming results from testing and measurements. In this way, the validation of the CAE method is achieved with various testing applications.
CitationOzmen, B., Bakir, M., Siktas, M., Atamer, S. et al., "Application and Validation of CAE Methods for Comprehensive Durability Assessment of Leaf Springs with Measurement and Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2756, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2756.
- Bakir , M. , Siktas , M. , and Atamer , S. Comprehensive Durability Assessment of Leaf Springs with CAE Methods SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2297 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2297
- SIMPACK Version 8.9, User's Manual Germany
- Abaqus Version 6.12-3, User's Manual Simulia, France 2013
- Medina Version 8.3.2, User's Manual T-Systems Germany 2013
- FEMFAT Version 5.0a, User's Manual Engineering Center Steyr Austria 2011
- Sonsino , C.M. Principles of Variable Amplitude Fatigue Design and Testing Fatigue Testing and Analysis under Variable Amplitude Loading Conditions, ASTM STP 1439 3 23 2005 10.1520/STP11294S
- Sonsino , C.M. Fatigue Testing Under Variable Loading Int. Journal of Fatigue 29 1080 1089 2007
- Atamer , S. Schädigungsberechnung zur Lebensdauerprognose von Rohbaukarosserien unter Berücksichtigung von dynamischen Effekten Ph.D. thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, Technical University Darmstadt Germany 978-3-8440-0991-0 2012
- Haibach , E. Betriebsfestigkeit: Verfahren und Daten zur Bauteilberechnung 3 Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York 2006
- DIAdem User's Manual National Instruments USA 2012
- LMS TecWare User's Manual LMS International Belgium 2011
- Ozmen , B. , Altiok , B. , Guzel , A. , Kocyigit , I. , and Atamer , S. A Novel Methodology with Testing and Simulation for the Durability of Leaf Springs based on Measured Load Collectives Procedia Engineering 101 2015 363 371 2015