This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Refill Friction Spot Joining for Aerospace Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the modern aircraft manufacturing, the cost reduction, the manufacturing time reduction, and the weight saving of aircraft are strongly demanded. The Refill Friction Spot Joining [1,2](FSJ, in other words FSSW, Friction Stir Spot Welding), which is one of innovative solid-state joining methodologies based on the Friction Stir Welding, is a promising technology that can replace rivets and fasteners. This technology is expected to offer cost reduction and weight saving for the aircraft manufacturing.
In this study, to make stronger and reliable joints, the shoulder-plunging process of Refill FSJ was employed. The weldability of the Alodine or Chromic Acid Anodize coated materials along with a faying-surface sealant was investigated. The joint properties, such as tensile shear strengths and corrosion resistance, were evaluated. As a result, it was found that a sound joint can be made with a faying-surface sealant and its strength was almost the same as that of the joint made without sealant. Moreover, corrosion resistance of the faying surfaces was good.
In terms of an automated production, an assembling trail with a 6-axis Refill FSJ robot was performed along with some actual parts. A high quality production without any distortion was achieved.
CitationOkada, H., Kamimuki, K., Yoshikawa, S., and Fukada, S., "Refill Friction Spot Joining for Aerospace Application," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2614, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2614.
- Kumagaya, M. and Tanaka, S., Japan Patent 3709972, August 2005.
- Schilling, C., and Dos Santos, J., “METHOD AND DEVICE FOR JOINING AT LEAST TWO ADJOINING WORK PIECES BY FRICTION WELDING” U.S. Patent 6722556, April 2004.
- Thomas, W.M., Nicholas, E.D., Needham, J.C., Murch, M.G., Michael, G., Templesmith, P., and Dawes, C.J., “Friction Stir Welding,” U.S. Patent 5460317, October 1995.
- Badarinarayan, H., Hunt, F., and Okamoto, K., “Chapter12: Friction Stir Spot Welding,” in Friction Stir Welding and Processing, First Edition, edited by Mishra R. and Mahoney M.W., The ASM International, Novelty, OH, ISBN 978-0-87170-840-3: 235(272), 2007.
- Okada, H., Kamimuki, K., and Fujimoto, M., “Friction Spot Joining for Aerospace Industries” The Japan society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, 47th Aircraft Symposium, JSASS-2009-5169, Nov 2009 (in Japanese)