This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integration and Performances Analysis of a Data Distribution Service Middleware in Avionics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The amount of functionalities in modern aircrafts is increasing to satisfy performance, safety and economic benefits. Therefore, the communication needs of avionic systems are growing. Furthermore, the portability and reusability of applications are current challenges of the aerospace industry. The use of the Data Distribution Service (DDS) middleware technology would reduce the complexity of communications and ease the portability and reusability of applications with its standardised interface. Few previous works used a DDS middleware within the aerospace industry and those didn't take into account the impact of this technology on the applications performances. Therefore, this paper presents an impact evaluation of using a DDS middleware on the performances of avionic applications. To do so, a design methodology was proposed to design an automatic flight control system (AFCS) from a high abstraction level representation of a control loop to a low-level implementation on a development board. The AFCS was modeled with Simulink® to control a Boeing 747-400 simulated within the X-Plane flight simulator. The AFCS code was then ported on a Freescale 8572 embedded platform running VxWorks operating system to allow hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing. The performances of the AFCS were evaluated through the stabilisation of the aircraft's altitude, speed and roll angle. To measure the impact of using a DDS middleware, the performances of the AFCS with and without a DDS middleware were compared. The results shows that using a DDS middleware allows the aircraft to stabilise at the desired altitude, speed and roll angle without having any significant impact on the performances of the AFCS. However, due to the limitations of this paper's works, there is still much to do before using a DDS middleware in an actual aircraft becomes a common practice.
CitationLandry, K., Boland, J., and Bois, G., "Integration and Performances Analysis of a Data Distribution Service Middleware in Avionics," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2554, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2554.
- The Open Group 2015 March 24th 2015 About the FACE Consortium http://www.opengroup.org/face/about
- FACE Consortium Technical Standard for Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE) 2.0 The Open Group 2013 348
- Object Management Group Data Distribution Service for Real-time Systems Version 1.2 Object Management Group 2007 260
- Calvo I. , Perez F. , Etxeberria I. , and Moran G. Control communications with DDS using IEC61499 Service Interface Function Blocks Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA), 2010 IEEE Conference on 2010 1 4
- Detti A. , Loreti P. , Blefari-Melazzi N. , and Fedi F. Streaming H.264 scalable video over data distribution service in a wireless environment 2010 IEEE International Symposium on “A World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks” (WoWMoM) 14 17 June 2010 Piscataway, NJ, USA 2010 3
- Cruz J. M. , Romero-Garces A. , Rubio J. P. B. , Robles R. M. , and Rubio A. B. A DDS-based middleware for quality-of-service and high-performance networked robotics Concurr. Comput. : Pract. Exper. 24 1940 1952 2012
- Boonma P. and Suzuki J. Self-configurable publish/subscribe middleware for wireless sensor networks Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Conference on Consumer Communications and Networking Conference Las Vegas, NV, USA 2009
- Jinsong Y. , Sandstrom K. , Nolte T. , and Behnam M. Data Distribution Service for industrial automation 2012 IEEE 17th Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation (ETFA 2012) 17 21 Sept. 2012 Piscataway, NJ, USA 2012 8
- Tambe S. , Garcia Aranda F. , and Schlesselman J. An Extensible Architecture for Avionics Sensor Health Assessment Using Data Distribution Service (Draft) AIAA Infotech@Aerospace 2013 Conference 19 22 August 2013 Boston, Massachusetts, United States 2013 11
- Howard C. 2013 14 mai 2014 Embraer employs RTI Connext DDS in KC-390 mission-critical avionics software development Avionics Intelligence http://www.avionics-intelligence.com/articles/2013/04/Embraer-RTI.html
- Jun J. , Junwei H. , Shupeng Z. , and Jingfeng H. DDS based high fidelity flight simulator 2009 WASE International Conference on Information Engineering (ICIE) 10 11 July 2009 Piscataway, NJ, USA 2009 548 51
- Johansen I. H. Autopilot Design for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Department of Engineering Cybernetics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology 2012
- Sanchez C. , Nowotsch J. , Paulitsch M. , and Schertler K. Image processing in airborne applications using multicore embedded computers Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), 2013 IEEE/AIAA 32nd 2013 2B3-1 2B3-13
- Schuster T. and Verma D. Networking concepts comparison for avionics architecture Digital Avionics Systems Conference, 2008. DASC 2008. IEEE/AIAA 27th 2008 1.D.1-1 1.D.1-11
- RTCA DO-178C Software Considerations in Airborn Systems and Equipment Certification 2011
- ARINC ARINC 653 Avionics Application Software Standard Interface 1996