This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Best Practices and Recommendations for the Model-Based Development Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Aerospace and Defense industry is currently challenged in multiple ways - cost cutting and sequestration on the defense side, and spurt of growth on the commercial aviation side of business. While these are opposing trends, both will impose severe challenges to the management of product development process for both the Air framers and the suppliers. The challenge becomes severe as the innovation expectations become rapid with increases in embedded software content in avionics and the advent of a new category of autonomous ground, marine, and air systems. Clearly, the industry need is to have a product development process that allows for reducing costs, while increasing embedded software quality and thereby product quality even in an iterative development process.
This paper looks at the lessons learnt by industries like automotive and commercial vehicles in overcoming similar economic and technical challenges by leveraging model-based design to establish a continuous product development process that stretches from OEMs to suppliers. Commercially available tool-chains, standards and practices across the industries hold similar promise for aerospace and defense industries. Authors of this paper will share their insights from decades of experience in supporting OEMs and suppliers across the broad spectrum of industries to recommend best practices that will help with the aforesaid challenges in avionics development.
CitationMuli, M., Moudgal, V., and Allen, J., "Best Practices and Recommendations for the Model-Based Development Process," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2529, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2529.
- Hanselmann , H. E/E Data Management Instead of Chaos Elektronik Automotive Jan 2012
- Dhaliwal , A. and Allen , J. Hardware-in-Loop Simulation of Electric Drives- Description of a Typical Simulation Platform SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2839 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2839
- Krisp , H. , Lamberg , K. , and Leinfellner , R. Automated Real-Time Testing of Electronic Control Units SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0504 2007
- Lamberg , K. , Richert , J. , and Rasche , R. A New Environment for Integrated Development and Management of ECU Tests SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1024 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1024
- Hanselmann , H. Advances in Desktop Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation SAE Technical Paper 970932 1997 10.4271/970932
- Adenmark , M. , Deter , M. , and Schulte , T. Testing Networked ECUs in a HIL Based Integration Lab SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3495 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3495
- Kluge , T. , Allen , J. , and Dhaliwal , A. Advantages and Challenges of Closed-Loop HIL Testing for Commercial and Off-Highway Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2841 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2841
- Prabhu , S. Model-Based Design for Off-Highway Machine Systems Development SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4248 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4248
- Yu , Mark Caterpillar Inc. Indestructable from the start dSPACE Magazine 1 2008
- Allen , J. Implementation of HIL Testing Systems for Aerospace ECUs SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3385 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3385
- Muli , M. and Cassar , J. Virtual Validation - A New Paradigm in Controls Engineering SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2404 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2404
- Muli , M. and Allen , J. Data Management in the Model-Based Design Paradigm SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2398 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2398
- Feiler P. , Goodenough J. , Gurfinkel A. , Weinstock C. , Wrage L. Four Pillars for Improving the Quality of Safety-Critical Software-Reliant Systems Software Engineering Institute, Research & Technology 2013
- Functional Mock-up Interface Standard https://www.fmi-standard.org/
- Broy Manfred , Kirstan Sascha , Krcmar Helmut , Schätz Bernhard what is the benefit of a model-based design of embedded software systems in the car industry? IGI Global 2011
- Himmler , A. , Allen , J. , and Moudgal , V. Flexible Avionics Testing - From Virtual ECU Testing to HIL Testing SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2242 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2242
- Allen , J. Managing Data and the Testing Process in the MBD Environment SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2149 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2149