This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Towards Self-Adaptive Fixturing Systems for Aircraft Wing Assembly
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this work was to develop a new assembly process in conjunction with an adaptive fixturing system to improve the assembly process capability of specific aircraft wing assembly processes. The inherently complex aerospace industry requires a step change in its capability to achieve the production ramp up required to meet the global demand. This paper evaluates the capability of adaptive fixtures to identify their suitability for implementation into aircraft wing manufacturing and assembly. To understand the potential benefits of these fixtures, an examination of the current academic practices and an evaluation of the existing industrial solutions is highlighted. The proposed adaptive assembly process was developed to account for the manufacturing induced dimensional variation that causes significant issues in aircraft wing assembly. To test the effectiveness of the adaptive assembly process, an aircraft wing assembly operation was replicated on a demonstrator test rig. The experimental case study is described and positive initial test data is presented. The demonstrator achieved assemblies that were 0.129 mm and 0.114 mm from the actual target. These initial tests show that a repeatable process is obtainable, but a further increase in accuracy is required. Future work will be bring the system to a higher maturity level to allow for implementation into aircraft assembly processes.
|Technical Paper||Impact Center and Restitution Coefficients for Accident Reconstruction|
|Technical Paper||Interface Management in Wing-Box Assembly|
|Technical Paper||Fixturing and Tooling for Wing Assembly with Reconfigurable Datum System Pickup|
CitationVaughan, D., Branson, D., Bakker, O., and Ratchev, S., "Towards Self-Adaptive Fixturing Systems for Aircraft Wing Assembly," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2493, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2493.
- Martin O. C., Muelaner J. E., Wang Z., Kayani A., Tomlinson D., Maropoulos P. G., and Helgasson P., “Metrology enhanced tooling for aerospace (META): A live fixturing Wing Box assembly case study,” in 7th International Conference on Digital Enterprise Technology, 2011.
- Naing S., “Feature Based Design for Jigless Assembly,” Cranfield University, 2004.
- Millar, A. and Kihlman, H., “Reconfigurable Flexible Tooling for Aerospace Wing Assembly,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3243, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3243.
- Jeffreys D. and Leaney P. G., “Dimensional control as an integral part of next-generation aircraft development,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng. Manuf., vol. 214, no. 9, pp. 831-835, Jan. 2000.
- Ryll M., Papastathis T. N., and Ratchev S., “Towards an intelligent fixturing system with rapid reconfiguration and part positioning,” J. Mater. Process. Technol., vol. 201, no. 1-3, pp. 198-203, May 2008.
- Bakker O., Papastathis T., Popov A., and Ratchev S., “Active fixturing: literature review and future research directions,” Int. J. Prod. Res., vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 3171-3190, Jun. 2013.
- Rüscher, O. and Mayländer, H., “Automated Alignment and Marry-Up of Aircraft Fuselage Sections with a Final Assembly Line,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2570, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-2570.
- Bakker, O., Jayaweera, N., Martin, O., Turnock, A. et al., “Fixturing and Tooling for Wing Assembly with Reconfigurable Datum System Pickup,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2556, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-2556.
- Hinrichsen J. and Bautista C., “The challenge of reducing both airframe weight and manufacturing cost,” Air Sp. Eur., vol. 3, no. 3-4, pp. 119-121, May 2001.
- Cunov, J. and Habermann, C., “Adaptive Manufacturing System,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 7(2):322-327, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2273.
- Jayaweera N. and Webb P., “Automated assembly of fuselage skin panels,” Assem. Autom., vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 343-355, 2007.
- Wu D., Greer M. J., Rosen D. W., and Schaefer D., “Cloud manufacturing: Strategic vision and state-of-the-art,” J. Manuf. Syst., vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 564-579, Oct. 2013.
- Whitney D. E., Mechanical Assemblies: Their Design, Manufacture, and Role in Product Development, no. v. 1. Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Ryll M., “Towards a software framework for reconfigurable and adaptive fixturing systems,” University of Nottingham, 2010.
- Saadat M. and Cretin C., “Dimensional variations during Airbus wing assembly,” Assem. Autom., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 270-276, 2002.