This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Scalable, Future Concept for System Safety Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aerospace Recommended Practice (ARP) 4754 Revision A (ARP4754A), Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems , and ARP4761, Guidelines and Methods for Conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment , together describe a complex set of intertwining processes which comprehensively prioritize development activities for a product's systems based on their safety criticality. These processes work at specific levels of detail (aircraft and system) and interact with a set of processes at lower levels of detail (item) defined by Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA) standards. The aircraft and system development process (ARP4754A) supplies functions, requirements, and architectural definitions to the System Safety process (ARP4761), which in turn supplies Development Assurance Levels back to the development process and on to the RTCA processes. The specific discussion of these levels of detail in this guidance inherently limits the processes from easily scaling to accommodate newer concepts such as Unmanned Aircraft Vehicles or Multi-vehicle Space Transport Systems. Though these system-of-system concepts are in areas with developing regulations, their imminent transition to civilian applications demonstrates impending challenges with the general approach of the ARPs. Further complicating this future civilian aerospace environment is the pace at which guidance gets updated.
To resolve these issues, a more flexible approach to these processes can be developed which preserves the fundamental concepts described in the existing guidance but also provides greater scalability. The concepts described in this work would provide simpler, more stable sets of standards that regulators could use to produce more consistent guidance to accommodate a future environment of more diverse aircraft vehicle platforms.
CitationVoros, R., "A Scalable, Future Concept for System Safety Processes," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2438, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2438.
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems SAE Standard ARP4754A, Rev. Dec 2010
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice Guidelines and Methods for Conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment SAE Standard ARP4761, Issued Dec 1996
- Warwick , Graham Pioneers' Progress. Wanted: Manufacturers willing to blaze the trail to unmanned-aircraft certification Aviation Week & Space Technology October 27 2014 22 25
- Lachter , J. , Brandt , S. , Battiste , V. et. al. Toward Single Pilot Operations: Developing a Ground Station Proceedings of the HCI-AERO 2014 conference Silicon Valley, California July 30 August 1 2014
- RTCA (Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics), Inc. Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification RTCA SC-167 and ERUOCAE WG-12 Washington, D.C., DO-178C 2011 This material is copyrighted by RTCA, Inc. and used with permission. The complete document referenced may be purchased at: RTCA, Inc. 1150 18 th St. NW Suite 910, Washington, DC, 20036 www.rtca.org
- RTCA, Inc. Design Assurance Guidance for Airborne Electronic Hardware RTCA SC-180 Washington, D.C. DO-254 2000 This material is copyrighted by RTCA, Inc. and used with permission. The complete document referenced may be purchased at: RTCA, Inc. 1150 18 th St. NW Suite 910, Washington, DC, 20036 www.rtca.org
- Johnson , V. and Voros , R. Seeking an Open Framework for Systems Engineering in Aeronautics and Astronautics 53RD AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting/The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Kissimmee, Florida January 5 2015 10.2514/6.2015-1864
- Perry , William J. Specifications and Standards - A New Way of Doing Business June 29 1994
- ISO and IEC (International Organisation for Standardisation and International Electrotechnical Commission) Systems Engineering: Systems Lifecycle Processes Geneva, CH ISO/IEC 15288 2008
- IEEE. (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) IEEE Standard for the Application and Management of the Systems Engineering Process Washington, DC, USA IEEE Standard1220 2005
- INCOSE (International Council on Systems Engineering) 2012 Systems Engineering Handbook: A Guide for System Life Cycle Processes and Activities San Diego, CA, USA INCOSE-TP-2003-002-03.2.2 2012
- SAE International Aerospace Information Report Contiguous Aircraft/System Development Process Example SAE Standard AIR6110, Issued Dec 2011
- Voros , R. Small Airplane Considerations for the Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 6 2 578 590 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2233