This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of Diesel Engine Noise According to EGR Rate Change during Transient Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel engine noise is classified into mechanical noise, flow dynamic noise and combustion noise. Among these, combustion noise level is higher than the others due to the high compression ratio of diesel combustion and auto ignition. The injected fuel is mixed with air in the ignition delay process, followed by simultaneous ignition of the premixed mixture. This process results in a rapid pressure rise, which is the main source of combustion noise. The amount of fuel burned during premixed combustion is mainly affected by the ignition delay. The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) rate has an impact on ignition delay, and thus, it influences the combustion noise characteristics. Therefore, during the transient state, the combustion noise characteristics change as the EGR rate deviates from the target value.
In this study, the effect of the EGR rate deviation during the transient state of the combustion noise is examined. A 1.6 liter diesel engine with a VGT was used for the experiment. The EGR rate was acquired by measuring temperatures using fast response thermocouples at the intercooler exit, the intake manifold, and the EGR cooler exit. The heat transfer model was adopted to improve the accuracy of the EGR measurement. As a result, the shorter ramp time in acceleration leads to the higher EGR rate, a longer ignition delay, greater RoHR peak value and higher combustion noise.
CitationLee, S., Lee, S., Min, K., and Jung, I., "Characteristics of Diesel Engine Noise According to EGR Rate Change during Transient Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2296, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2296.
- Shen , G. Vehicle Noise, Vibration, and Sound Quality Warrendale SAE International 2012 978-0-7680-3484-4
- Tousignant , T. , Wellmann , T. , Govindswamy , K. , Heuer , S. et al. Application of Combustion Sound Level (CSL) Analysis for Powertrain SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2168 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2168
- Mollenhauer , K. Handbook of Diesel Engines Heidelberg Springer 2010
- Torregrosa A , Broatch A , Margot X , Marant V and Beaug' eY 3D study of resonance phenomenon in combustion chamber of DI automotive diesel engines using CFD approach Int. J. Engine Res. 5 83 91 2004
- Payri , F. , Broatch , A. , Margot , X. and Monelletta , L. Sound quality assessment of Diesel combustion noise using in-cylinder pressure components Meas. Sci. Technol. 20 1 015107 Jan 2009
- Kanda , H. , Okubo , M. , and Yonezawa , T. Analysis of Noise Sources and Their Transfer Paths in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 900014 1990 10.4271/900014
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals New York McGRAW-HILL 1988
- Zhao , H. Advanced direct injection combustion engine technologies and development Boca Raton CRC Press 2010
- Shibata , G. , Ushijima , H. , Ogawa , H. , and Shibaike , Y. Combustion Noise Analysis of Premixed Diesel Engine by Engine Tests and Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1293 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1293
- Carlucci , P. , Ficarella , A. , and Laforgia , D. Effects of Pilot Injection Parameters on Combustion for Common Rail Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0700 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0700
- Assanis , D. , Filipi , Z. , Fiveland , S. and Syrimis , M. A Predictive Ignition Delay Correlation Under Steady-State and Transient Operation of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power 125 2 450 457 2003 10.1115/1.1563238
- Rakopoulos , C. , Giakoumis , E. Diesel Engine Transient Operation: Principles of Operation and Simulation Analysis London Springer 2009
- Kalsi , K. , Collings , N. , Heaton , D. , and Faulkner , S. Study of Steady State and Transient EGR Behaviour of a Medium Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2438 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2438
- Hagena , J. , Filipi , Z. , and Assanis , D. Transient Diesel Emissions: Analysis of Engine Operation During a Tip-In SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1151 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1151
- Kang , H. and Farrell , P. Experimental Investigation of Transient Emissions (HC and NOx) in a High Speed Direct Injection (HSDI) Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3883 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3883
- Cho , S. , Ahn , S. , and Kim , Y. A simple model to estimate the impact force induced by piston slap J. Sound Vib. 255 229 42 2002
- Payri , F. , Broatch , A. , Tormos , B. and Marant , V. New methodology for in-cylinder pressure analysis in direct injection diesel engines-application to combustion noise Meas. Sci. Technol. 16 2 540 547 Feb. 2005
- Chiavola , O. , Chiatti , G. , and Recco , E. Analysis of the Relationship between Noise Emission and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1364 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1364
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Engine Sound Level Measurement Procedure SAE Standard J1074 May 2014
- Russell , M. and Haworth , R. Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 850973 1985 10.4271/850973
- Mollenhauer K. And Tschoeke H. , Handbook of Diesel Engines Springer 2010 10.1007/978-3-540-89083-6
- Han , Y. , Liu , Z. , Zhao , J. , Xu , Y. et al. EGR Response in a Turbo-charged and After-cooled DI Diesel Engine and Its Effects on Smoke Opacity SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1677 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1677
- Frank , I. , David D. , Theodore B. and Adrienne L. introduction to Heat Transfer 5th 484 487 John Wiley & Sons 2005
- Lee , S. , Lee , J. , Lee , S. , Kim , D. et al. Study on Reduction of Diesel Engine Out Emission through Closed Loop Control based on the In-Cylinder Pressure with EGR Model SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0322 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0322
- Jung , I. , Jin , J. , So , H. , Nam , C. et al. An Advanced Method for Developing Combustion Noise through the Analysis of Diesel Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 6 2 1379 1385 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1901