This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wavelet Analysis for the Characterization of Abrupt and Transient Phenomena in Electric Drivelines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emissions and fuel consumption reduction for the year 2020 have led to the development of new powertrain solutions. The development of new electric concepts presents vehicle integration challenges, involving among others, NVH. Energy flow is controlled by inverters that transform the energy from DC to AC by working at frequencies of the order of kilohertz with a control strategy that can abruptly switch, and motors introduce high orders and electro-magnetic forces due to their topology, inducing phenomena that are not present in internal- combustion engine vehicles. In Particular, a common characteristic of permanent magnet motors is cogging torque, which is due to the attraction of the rotor poles and stator slots that induces a torque ripple causing comfort challenges at low speed and low torque conditions. Special care must be paid to the integration challenges when adapting an ICE platform to an electric powertrain due to the new excitation sources and frequency levels that the electric powertrain introduces.
In this work, the continuous wavelet transform which is a relatively recent mathematical tool that presents a minimized time support was used due to its capability to analyze abrupt and transient phenomena. Wavelet analysis provides a different focus for studying the abovementioned abrupt effect of the control strategy and cogging torque which is useful for improving the overall NVH experience of the driver of an electric vehicle. This paper describes new sources of excitation in electric vehicles and their effect on noise and vibration, and demonstrates the advantages of wavelet transform to deepen the study of transient information for meeting the challenges that the development of new vehicle concepts presents.
CitationRoche, M., Mammetti, M., and Crifaci, C., "Wavelet Analysis for the Characterization of Abrupt and Transient Phenomena in Electric Drivelines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2238, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2238.
- Mammetti , M. and Roche Arroyos , M. The Study of Torque Control Characteristics for the Optimization of the NVH of an Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1757 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1757
- Iturbe , J. , Fernandez , I. , and Mammetti , M. Influence of the Inverter Calibration on the NVH of an Electrified Light-Duty Truck SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0133 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0133
- Freeman , T. , Thom , B. , and Smith , S. Noise and Vibration Development for Adapting a Conventional Vehicle Platform for an Electric Powertrain SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2003 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2003
- Zhu , Z. Q. , Howe , D. Influence of Design Parameters on Cogging Torque in Permanent Magnet Machines IEEE
- Farge Marie Wavelet transforms and their application to turbulence [J] Annu.Rev. Fluid Mech. 1992 24 395 457
- Mammetti , M. , Garcia , J. , and Roche Arroyos , M. Wavelet Analysis for Frequency Disturbance Characterization in an Electric Vehicle SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 2 3 428 442 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2870
- Mammetti , M. , Roche , M. Wavelet Analysis Of The Effect Of Torque Motor Control Discontinuity on The NVH Phenomena of the Driveline of an Electric Light-Duty Vehicle Fisita 2014 Technical Paper F2014-NVH-032
- Sarrazin , M. , Janssens , K. , Van der Auweraer Influence of Inverter PWM Control Schemes on Noise Signature of Electric Powertrains ICSV20
- Capitaneanu , S. L. , de Fornel , B. , Fadel , M. , Jadot , F. On the Acoustic Noise Radiated by PWM AC Motor Drives Automatika
- Meek , B. , Anderson , C. , Van der Auweraer , H. Applying the Source-Transfer-Reciever Principle to Achieve Optimal Performance on Electrical Vehicles Fisita 2014 Technical Paper F2014-NVH-046
- Lennström , D. , Lindbom , T. , Nykänen , A. Prominence of tones in electric vehicles interior noise Inter Noise
- Woolmer , T. J. , McCulloch M.D. Analysis of the Yokeless and Segmented Armature Machine
- Sarrazin , M. , Janssens , K. , Claes , W. , Van der Auweraer , H. Electro-Vibro-Acoustic Analysis of Electric Powertrain Systems Fisita 2014 Technical Paper F2014-NVH-082
- La , C. , Poggi , M. , Murphy , P. , and Zitko , O. NVH Considerations for Zero Emissions Vehicle Driveline Design SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1545 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1545
- Rahman , K. M. , Nagashima , J. M. Application of Direct-Drive Wheel Motor for Fuel Cel Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicle Propulsion System IEEE
- Dosiek , L. , Pillay , P. Cogging Torque Reduction in Permanent Magnet Machines IEEE
- Sarrazin , M. , Gillijns , S. , Anthonis , J. , Janssens , K. , Van der Auweraer , H. , Verhaeghe , K. NVH analysis of a 3 phase 12.8 SR motor drive for HEV applications EVS27
- Torrence C. , Compo , G. P. A Practical Guide to Wavelet Analysis Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society