This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural-Acoustic Joints for Incompatible Models in the Energy Finite Element Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the Energy Finite element Analysis (EFEA) method, the governing differential equations are formulated for an energy variable that has been spatially averaged over a wavelength and time averaged over a period. A finite element approach is used for solving the differential equations numerically. Therefore, a library of elements is necessary for modeling the various wave bearing domains that are present in a structural-acoustic system. Discontinuities between wave bearing domains always exist due to the geometry, from a change in material properties, from multiple components being connected together, or from different media interfacing with each other. Therefore, a library of joints is also necessary for modeling the various types of physical connections which can be encountered in a structural-acoustic system.
In this paper, a new joint formulation is presented for using incompatible meshes in EFEA models, when shapes and/or sizes of elements at structural-acoustic interfaces do not match. The algorithm which identifies automatically the joints in a finite element model is presented, and the implementation of the joints in the EFEA solver is discussed. The new developments are tested by comparing results generated using incompatible models for a simple configuration, and through comparison to test data for a representative automotive air-borne noise application.
CitationVlahopoulos, N. and Medyanik, S., "Structural-Acoustic Joints for Incompatible Models in the Energy Finite Element Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2237, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2237.
- Bernhard R. J. and Huff J. E. , Jr. Structural-acoustic design at high frequency using the energy finite element method Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 121 1999 295 301
- Vlahopoulos N. , Garza-Rios L. O. and Mollo C. Numerical implementation, validation, and marine applications of an energy finite element formulation Journal of Ship Research 43 1999 143 156
- Kim J.-D. , Hong S.-Y. , Kwon H.-W. , and Song J.-H. Energy flow model considering near field energy for predictions of acoustic energy in low damping medium Journal of Sound and Vibration 330 2011 271 286
- Chen , S. , Wang , D. , Li , W. , and Zan , J. Automobile Interior Noise Prediction Based on Energy Finite Element Method SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0507 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0507
- Wang , A. and Vlahopoulos , N. Vehicle NVH Analysis Using EFEA & EBEA Methods SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 814 821 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0766
- Vlahopoulos , N. , Zhang , G. , Brophy , W. , and Ramaswami , M. Vehicle Airborne Noise Analysis Using the Energy Finite Element Method SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1998 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1998