This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Design of Experiments with Varying Factors on a Panel-Beam System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Both vehicle roof systems and vehicle door systems typically have viscoelastic material between the beams and the outer panel. These materials have the propensity to affect the vibration decay time and the vibration level of the panel with their damping and stiffening properties. Decay time relates to how pleasant a vehicle door sounds upon closing, and vibration level relates to how loud a roof boom noise may be perceived to be by vehicle occupants. If a surrogate panel could be used to evaluate decay time and vibration level, then a design of experiments (DOE) could be used to compare the effects of different factors on the system.
The purpose of this paper is to show the effect of varying test factors on decay time and vibration level on a panel-beam system with viscoelastic material applied. The results were calculated using DOE software, and they were used to construct optimized systems for validation testing. The test regimen used a modal hammer to excite the system and a piezoelectric accelerometer to measure the response. The input force measured with the modal hammer was used to normalize the structural responses. The conclusions of this work are presented and examined.
CitationStotera, D. and Bombard, S., "Vibration Design of Experiments with Varying Factors on a Panel-Beam System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2208, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2208.
- Hamilton , D. Sound Quality of Impulsive Noises: An Applied Study of Automotive Door Closing Sounds SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1684 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1684
- Petniunas , A. , Otto , N. , Amman , S. , and Simpson , R. Door System Design for Improved Closure Sound Quality SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1681 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1681
- Nunes , A. , Martins , E. , Guaragna , L. , and Mariano , S. A Case Study About Side Door Closing Sound Quality SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0590 2008 10.4271/2008-36-0590
- Champagne , A. and Amman , S. Vehicle Closure Sound Quality SAE Technical Paper 951370 1995 10.4271/951370
- Bijwe , V. , Raut , M. , Suryawanshi , S. , Naidu , S. et al. NVH Refinement of Passenger Vehicle for In-cab Boom Noise Using Experimental Operational Deflection Shape and Full Vehicle Acoustic Sensitivity Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0063 2011 10.4271/2011-26-0063
- Saha , P. , Haylett , J. , and Roy , R. A Design of Experiments Analysis to Determine the Importance of Relevant Factors on the STL of an Acoustic Part SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 6 3 618 624 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2009
- Kapur , K. Product and Process Design Optimization by Design of Experiments Using Taguchi Methods SAE Technical Paper 880821 1988 10.4271/880821
- Stotera , D. , Connelly , T. , Gardner , B. , Seifferlein , E. et al. Testing and Simulation of Anti-Flutter Foam and High Damping Foam in a Vehicle Roof Structure SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1944 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1944
- Nuzzo , R. Scientific method: Statistical errors Nature 506 7487 150 2014 10.1038/506150a