This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Natural Frequency Analysis of Tire Vibration Using a Thin Cylindrical Shell Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Early studies on the tire vibration characteristics of road noise focused on radial modes of vibration because these modes are dominant in vertical spindle force. However, recent studies of Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) prediction have suggested that tire modeling not only of radial modes, but also of lateral vibration, including lateral translational and lateral bending modes, affect interior noise. Thus, it is important to construct tire dynamic models with few degrees of freedom for whole-vehicle analysis of NVH performance. Existing tire dynamics model can't express tire lateral vibrations.
This paper presents a new approach for tire vibration analysis below 200Hz, and a formula for tire natural frequencies. First, a tire dynamic model is developed based on the thin cylindrical shell theory. Kinetic and potential energies are derived. Mode shape function is also derived by the assumption of inextensility in the neutral of the tread ring. The formulas of natural frequencies are derived from these relation expressions using Rayleigh's method. Second, impact tests for tires are performed for validation of the proposal theory. Results show that theoretical values of natural frequencies are close to the experimental data. Finally, the substructure's contributions to stiffness against natural frequencies are shown.
CitationMatsubara, M., Tsujiuchi, N., Koizumi, T., Ito, A. et al., "Natural Frequency Analysis of Tire Vibration Using a Thin Cylindrical Shell Model," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2198, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2198.
- Kido , I. , Ueyama , S. , Hashioka , M. , Yamamoto , S. et al. Tire and Road Input Modeling for Low-Frequency Road Noise Prediction SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 2 1277 1282 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1690
- Tsujiuchi , N. , Koizumi , T. , Matsubara , M. , Moriguchi , K. et al. Prediction of Spindle Force Using Measured Road Forces on Rolling Tire SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2107 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2107
- Constant , M. , Leyssens , J. , Penne , F. , and Freymann , R. Tire and Car Contribution and Interaction to Low Frequency Interior Noise SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1528 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1528
- Miyama , Y. , Akamatsu , H. , Kageyama , K. , Ebisawa , H. , Morita , S. , Tanaka , K. , Shirokawa , N. , Miyakawa , T. Development of Tire Eigenvalue Control Technology for Optimization of Roadnoise Spectrum Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 40 5 1133 1138 2009
- Kido , I. , Ueyama , S. , Sueoka , A. Analytical Approach for Strongly Coupled Vibration System Composed of Two Substructures (Part 2, Application of Analytical Approach to Vibration of Tire and Wheel on Vehicle) TRANSACTIONS OF THE JAPAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS C 72 715 735 742 2006
- Clark , S. The Rolling Tire Under Load SAE Technical Paper 650493 1965 10.4271/650493
- Tielking , J. Plane Vibration Characteristics of a Pneumatic Tire Model SAE Technical Paper 650492 1965 10.4271/650492
- Kropp W. A mathematical model of tyre noise generation International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems 6 44 310 329 1999
- Huang S. C. , Soedel W. EFFECT OF CORIOLIS ACCELERATION ON THE FREE AND FORCED IN-PLANE VIBRATIONS OF ROTATING RINGS ON ELASTIC FOUNDATION Journal of Sound and Vibration 115 2 253 274 1987
- Wei Y. T. , Nasdala L. , Rothert H. Analysis of forced transient response for rotating tires using REF models Journal of Sound and Vibration 320 1-2 145 162 2009 10.1016/j.jsv.2008.07.007
- Huang , S.C. The vibration of rolling tyres in ground contact Int. J. Vehicle Design 13 1 78 95 1992
- Matsubara , M. , Tsujiuchi , N. , Koizumi , T. , and Hirano , Y. Vibration Analysis of Tire Circumferential Mode Under Loaded Axle SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 1154 1160 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1909
- Kindt P. , Sas P. , Desmet W. Development and validation of a three-dimensional ring-based structural tyre model Journal of Sound and Vibration 326 3-5 852 869 2009 10.1016/j.jsv.2009.05.019
- Matsubara , M. , Tsujiuchi , N. , Koizumi , T. , Hirano , Y. et al. Vibration Behavior Analysis of Tire Bending Mode Exciting Lateral Axial Forces SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6 2 1171 1176 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1911
- Timoshenko S. , Kriger S. W. Theory of Plates and Shells (in Japanese) McGRAW-HILL BOOK 474 476 1980
- Kamidamari T. Vibration Characteristic of Radial Tire JSAE Proceeding, Paper-No.851031 1985