This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Geometry Design of a Non-Pin Cycloid Drive for In-Wheel Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cycloid drives are widely used in the in-wheel motor for electric vehicles due to the advantages of large ratio, compact size and light weight. To improve the transmission efficiency and the load capability and reduce the manufacturing cost, a novel cycloid drive with non-pin design for the application in the in-wheel motor is proposed. Firstly, the generation of the gear pair is presented based on the gearing of theory. Secondly, the meshing characteristics, such as the contact zones, curvature difference, contact ratio and sliding coefficients are derived for performance evaluation. Then, the loaded tooth contact analysis (LTCA) is performed by establishing a mathematical model based on the Hertz contact theory to calculate the contact stress and deformation. Finally, based on a numerical example, the two gears are manufactured by using additive manufacturing methodology (3D printing), the meshing characteristics are analyzed and the contact stress and deformation are calculated by using the analytical models and validated by the finite element method (FEM), which shows a good agreement. Meanwhile, a comparison with the conventional cycloid drive is conducted, which demonstrates a salient feature of the proposed cycloid drive. The design and analysis in this study could help designers to design suitable cycloid drives and provide an alternative cycloid drive for the application in the in-wheel motor of electric vehicles.
CitationLi, X., Chen, B., Wang, Y., Sun, G. et al., "Geometry Design of a Non-Pin Cycloid Drive for In-Wheel Motor," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2172, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2172.
- Suzuki , M. , Okada , K. , Sakai , K. , and Makino , Y. Development of an In-Wheel Motor Axle Unit NTN Technical Review 75 2007 46 52
- ITOH , Y. , SAKAI , K. , and MAKINO , Y. In-Wheel Motor System TECHNICAL REVIEW 2011
- Colbourne , J. R. The geometry of trochoid envelopes and their application in rotary pumps Mechanism and Machine Theory 9 3 1974 421 435
- Litvin , F. L. , and Feng , P. H. Computerized design and generation of cycloidal gearings Mechanism and Machine Theory 31 7 1996 891 911
- Litvin , F. L. , and Fuentes , A. Gear geometry and applied theory, 2004 Cambridge U. published New York
- Shin , J. H. , and Kwon , S. M. On the lobe profile design in a cycloid reducer using instant velocity center Mechanism and Machine Theory 41 5 2006 596 616
- Chen , B. , Fang , T. , Li , C. , and Wang , S. Gear geometry of cycloid drives Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences 51 5 2008 598 610
- Demenego , A. , Vecchiato , D. , Litvin , F. L. , Nervegna , N. et al. Design and simulation of meshing of a cycloidal pump Mechanism and Machine Theory 37 3 2002 311 332
- Blanche , J. G. , and Yang D. C. H. Cycloid drives with machining tolerances Journal of Mechanical Design 111 3 1989 337 344
- Hwang , Y. W. , and Hsieh , C. F. Geometric design using hypotrochoid and nonundercutting conditions for an internal cycloidal gear Journal of Mechanical Design 129 4 2007 413 420
- Malhotra , S. K. , and Parameswaran , M. A. Analysis of a cycloid speed reducer Mechanism and machine theory 18 6 1983 491 499
- Gorla , C. , Davoli , P. , Rosa , F. , Longoni , C. et al. Theoretical and experimental analysis of a cycloidal speed reducer Journal of Mechanical Design 130 11 2008 112604
- Yan , H. S. , and Lai , T. S. Geometry design of an elementary planetary gear train with cylindrical tooth-profiles Mechanism and machine theory 37 8 2002 757 767
- Li , X. , He , W. , Li , L. , and Schmidt , L. C. A new cycloid drive with high-load capacity and high efficiency Journal of Mechanical Design 126 4 2004 683 686
- Chen , B. , Zhong , H. , Liu , J. , Li , C. et al. Generation and investigation of a new cycloid drive with double contact Mechanism and Machine Theory 49 2012 270 283
- Sensinger , J. W. Unified approach to cycloid drive profile, stress, and efficiency optimization Journal of Mechanical Design 132 2 2010 024503
- Blagojevic , M. , Marjanovic , N. , Djordjevic , Z. , Stojanovic , B. et al. A new design of a two-stage cycloidal speed reducer Journal of Mechanical Design 133 8 2011 085001