This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Review of Icephobic Coating Performances over the Last Decade
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper depicts icephobic coating performances of 274 different coatings, including 11 grease-type coatings, which were tested over the past 10 years in various research projects at the Anti-Icing Materials International Laboratory (AMIL). Icephobic performance is evaluated using two comparative test methods. The first method, the ice Centrifuge Adhesion Test (CAT), measures the force required to separate the accreted ice from the coating (e.g. adhesive failure). The test involves simultaneously icing, under supercooled precipitation, the extremity of bare reference and freshly coated aluminum samples. The ice adhesion shear stress is calculated from the ice detachment rotation speed. The results are reported as Adhesion Reduction Factor (ARF), which is the ice adhesion stress on the bare aluminum reference samples divided by the ice adhesion stress on the coated samples. The second method is the Static ice Accumulation Test (SAT), by which the amount of ice accumulated on coated substrates set up at incidence angles of 45° and 80° is compared to uncoated Al surfaces inclined at the same angles. The results are reported in terms of Accumulation Reduction Factor (ACCRF), which is the ice mass on the bare aluminum samples divided by that accumulated on the coated samples. Overall, the performance of tested coatings over the years remains similar with a wide range of ARF values, 0.5 to 1000, corresponding to stresses between 0.8 MPa and 0.0005 MPa, respectively.
CitationLaforte, C., Blackburn, C., and Perron, J., "A Review of Icephobic Coating Performances over the Last Decade," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2149, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2149.
- Landy , M. Studies of Ice Adhesion Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 25 15 1967
- Tarquini , S. al. Investigation of ice shedding properties of superhydrophobic coatings on helicopter blades Cold Regions Science and Technology 100 0 50 58 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2013.12.009
- Laforte , C. al. Icephobic Coating Evaluation for Aerospace Application 55th AIAA/ASMe/ASCE/AHS/SC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Susoff , M. al. Evaluation of icephobic coatings-Screening of different coatings and influence of roughness Applied Surface Science 282 0 870 879 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2013.06.073
- Makkonen , L. Ice Adhesion -Theory, Measurements and Countermeasures Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 26 4-5 413 445 2012 03 01 10.1163/016942411x574583
- He , Y. al. Reducing ice adhesion by hierarchical micro-nano-pillars Applied Surface Science 305 0 589 595 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.03.139
- Xiao , J. and Chaudhuri , S. Design of Anti-Icing Coatings Using Supercooled Droplets As Nano-to-Microscale Probes Langmuir 28 9 4434 4446 2012 03 06 10.1021/la2034565
- Jung , S. al. Are Superhydrophobic Surfaces Best for Icephobicity? Langmuir 27 6 3059 3066 2011 03 15 10.1021/la104762g
- Zheng , L. al. Exceptional Superhydrophobicity and Low Velocity Impact Icephobicity of Acetone-Functionalized Carbon Nanotube Films Langmuir 27 16 9936 9943 2011 08 16 10.1021/la201548k
- Parent , O. and Ilinca , A. Anti-icing and de-icing techniques for wind turbines: Critical review Cold Regions Science and Technology 65 1 88 96 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2010.01.005
- Antonini , C. al. Understanding the effect of superhydrophobic coatings on energy reduction in anti-icing systems Cold Regions Science and Technology 67 1-2 58 67 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2011.02.006
- Blackburn , C. , Laforte , C. , and Laforte , J.-L. Apparatus for Measuring the Adhesion Force of a Thin Ice Sheet on a Substrate 9 th International Workshop on Atmospheric Icing on Structures Chester, England June 2000
- Laforte , C. and Beisswenger , A. Icephobic Material Centrifuge Adhesion Test 11 th International Workshop on Atmospheric Icing on Structures Montreal, PQ (Canada) June 2005
- Fortin , G. , Beisswenger , A. , and Perron , J. Centrifuge Adhesion Test to Evaluate Icephobic Coatings 2 nd AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference AIAA Toronto, ON
- Fortin , G. and Perron , J. Spinning Rotor Blade Tests in Icing Wind Tunnel 1 st AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference AIAA San Antonio, Texas 2009
- Scavuzzo , R.J. and Chu , M.L. Ice Fracture Toughness from Peel Tests International Icing Symposium Montreal
- Archer , P. and Gupta , V.G. Measurement and Control of Ice Adhesion to Aluminium 6061 Alloy Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 46 10 28