This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of Ice Accretion Prediction Capability of the ONERA 2D Icing Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to comply with applicable certification regulations, airframers have to demonstrate safe operation of their aircraft in icing conditions. Part of this demonstration is often a numerical prediction of the potential ice accretion on unprotected surfaces.
The software ONICE2D, originally developed at the Office National d'Études et de Recherche Aérospatial (ONERA), is used at Airbus for predicting ice accretions on wing-like geometries. The original version of the software uses a flow solution of the 2D full-potential equation on a structured C-grid as basis for an ice accretion prediction. Because of known limitations of this approach, an interface was added between ONICE2D and TAU , a hybrid flow solver for the Navier-Stokes equations.
The paper first details the approach selected to implement the interface to the hybrid flow solver TAU. It continues to explain how an automatic impingement and ice accretion calculation on multi-element configurations has been achieved. Finally, some of the validation results of the new ONICE2D code version are presented.
CitationBartels, C., Cliquet, J., and Bautista, C., "Improvement of Ice Accretion Prediction Capability of the ONERA 2D Icing Code," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2103, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2103.
- Brédif , M. A Fast Finite Element Method for Transonic Potential Flow Calculations AIAA Paper AIAA-83-0507 1983
- Guffond , D. , and Brunet , L. Validation du Programme Bidimensionnel de Captation ONERA Rapport Technique RP no 20/5146 SY 1985
- Brunet , L. Conception et Discussion d'un Modèle de Formation du Givre Sur des Obstacles Variés Ph.D. thesis Université de Clermont II 1986
- Makkonen , L. Heat Transfer and Icing of a Rough Cylinder Cold Regions Science and Technology 20 2 105 116 1985 10.1016/0165-232X(85)90022-9
- Messinger , B.L. Equilibrium Temperature of Unheated Icing Surface as a Function of Air Speed J. Aeronautical Sciences 20 1 29 42 1953
- Gerhold , T. , Galle , M. , Friedrich , O. , and Evans , J. Calculation of Complex Three-Dimensional Configurations Employing the DLR TAU-Code AIAA Paper AIAA-97-0167 1997
- Tecplot Inc. TECPLOT 360 2008, Data Format Guide ftp://ftp.tecplot.com/pub/doc/tecplot/360/dataformat.pdf Jan. 2015
- Darmofal , D.J. and Haimes , R. An Analysis of 3D Particle Path Integration Algorithms J. Comp. Phys. 123 182 195 1996 10.1006/jcph.1996.0015
- Shampine , L.F. and Gordon , M.K. Computer Solution of Ordinary Differential Equations. The Initial Value Problem W.H. Freeman & Co. San Francisco 1975
- Dormand , J.R. and Prince , P.J. A Family of Embedded Runge-Kutta Formulae J. Comp. Appl. Math. 6 19 26 1980 10.1016/0771-050X(80)90013-3
- Löhner , R. and Ambrosiano , J. A Vectorized Particle Tracer for Unstructured Grids J. Comp. Phys. 91 1 22 31 1990 10.1016/0021-9991(90)90002-I
- Löhner , R. Robust, Vectorized Search Algorithms for Interpolation on Unstructured Grids J. Comp. Phys. 118 2 380 387 1995 10.1006/jcph.1995.1107
- Haselbacher , A. , Najjar , F.M. , and Ferry , J.P. An Efficient and Robust Particle-Localization Algorithm for Unstructured Grids J. Comp. Phys. 225 2198 2213 2007 10.1016/jcph.2007.03.018
- Chen , X.-Q. and Pereira , J.C.F. A New Particle-Locating Method Accounting for Source Distributions and Particle-Field Interpolation for Hybrid Modeling of Strongly Coupled Two-Phase Flows in Arbitrary Coordinates Numerical Heat Transfer 35 41 63 1999 10.1080/104077999276009
- Chordá , R. , Blasco , J.A. and Fueyo , N. An Efficient Particle-Locating Algorithm for Application in Arbitrary 2D and 3D Grids Int. J. Multiphase Flow 28 1565 1580 2002 10.1016/S0301-9322(02)00045-9
- Nathman , J.K. ICE Particle Trajectory and Ice Accretion Program, User's Manual, Version 2.0 AMI Inc. 1992
- Kind , R.J. Ice Accretion Simulation Evaluation Test NATO RTO Technical Report TR-038 AC/323(AVT-006)TP/26 2001
- Von Glahn , U. , Gelder , T.F. , and Smyers , W.H. Jr. A Dye Tracer Technique for Experimentally Obtaining Impingement Characteristics of Arbitrary Bodies and a Method for Determining Droplet Size Distributions NACA TN-3338 1955
- Papadakis , M. and Bidwell , C.S. Overview of Experimental Water Droplet Impingement Research and Future Aviation Community Requirements, including SLD Experimental Data Proc. FAA Int. Conf. on Aircraft Inflight Icing II 257 274 1996
- Papadakis , M. et al. Large and Small Droplet Impingement Data on Airfoils and Two Simulated Ice Shapes NASA technical memorandum, NASA TM-213959 2007
- Papadakis , M. et al. Water Droplet Impingement on Simulated Glaze, Mixed, and Rime Ice Accretions NASA technical memorandum, NASA TM-213961 2007
- Edwards , J.R. , Chandra , S. Comparison of Eddy Viscosity-Transport Turbulence Models for Three-Dimensional, Shock-Separated Flowfields AIAA J. 34 4 756 763 1996 10.2514/3.13137
- Wright , W.B. User's Manual for LEWICE Version 3.2 NASA contractor report, NASA CR-2008-214255 2008