This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
HAIC/HIWC Field Campaign - Specific Findings on PSD Microphysics in High IWC Regions from In Situ Measurements: Median Mass Diameters, Particle Size Distribution Characteristics and Ice Crystal Shapes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Despite past research programs focusing on tropical convection, the explicit studies of high ice water content (IWC) regions in Mesoscale Convective Systems (MCS) are rare, although high IWC conditions are potentially encountered by commercial aircraft during multiple in-service engine powerloss and airdata probe events.
To gather quantitative data in high IWC regions, a multi-year international HAIC/HIWC (High Altitude Ice Crystals / High Ice Water Content) field project has been designed including a first field campaign conducted out of Darwin (Australia) in 2014. The airborne instrumentation included a new reference bulk water content measurement probe and optical array probes (OAP) recording 2D images of encountered ice crystals.
The study herein focuses on ice crystal size properties in high IWC regions, analyzing in detail the 2D image data from the particle measuring probes. Various geometrical parameters were extracted from the images in order to calculate particle size distributions (PSDs) and finally deduce median mass diameters with additional information on the ice density.
The preliminary analysis of all HAIC/HIWC flights performed during this first flight campaign out of Darwin, demonstrates that various flights include high IWC regions mostly produced by high concentrations of small crystals while other flights with similar peak IWCs indicates that high IWC regions could be nevertheless composed primarily of larger particles. This interesting result indicates that high IWC can be produced and maintained in various environments, preferentially high concentrations of small crystals, however sometimes by smaller concentrations of larger sized crystal populations.
- Delphine Leroy - LaMP-CNRS/UBP
- Emmanuel Fontaine - LaMP-CNRS/UBP
- Alfons Schwarzenboeck - LaMP-CNRS/UBP
- J. Walter Strapp - Met Analytics Inc.
- Lyle Lilie - Science Engineering Associates Inc.
- Julien Delanoe - LATMOS-CNRS/UVSQ
- Alain Protat - Centre for Australian Weather & Climate
- Fabien Dezitter - Airbus Operation SAS
- Alice Grandin - Airbus
CitationLeroy, D., Fontaine, E., Schwarzenboeck, A., Strapp, J. et al., "HAIC/HIWC Field Campaign - Specific Findings on PSD Microphysics in High IWC Regions from In Situ Measurements: Median Mass Diameters, Particle Size Distribution Characteristics and Ice Crystal Shapes," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2087, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2087.
- Lawson , P. R. , Angus , L. J. and Heymsfield , A. J. Cloud particle measurements in thunderstorm anvils and possible weather threat to aviation Journal of aircraft 1998 10.2514/2.2268
- Mason , J. G. , Strapp J. W. and Chow P. The ice particle threat to engines in flight 44 th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting Reno, Nevada 9 12 January 2006
- Dezitter , F. , Grandin , A. , Brenguier , J. L. , Hervy , F. , Schalger , H et al. HAIC - High Altitude Ice Crystals Proceedings of the 5 th AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference 2013 10.2514/6.2013-2674
- Strapp , J. W. , Korolev A. , Ratvasky T. , Potts R. , Protat A. et al. The High Ice Water Concent (HIWC) Study of Deep Convective Clouds: Science en Technical Plan 2015 FAA report DOT/FAA/TC 14/31
- Lawson , R. P. , O'Connor , D. , Zmarzly , P. , Weaver , K. , Baker , B. et al The 2D-S (Stereo) Probe : Design and Preliminary Tests of a new airborne, High-Speed, High-Resolution Particle Imaging Probe Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2006 10.1175/JTECH1927.1
- Baumgardner , D. , Brenguier , J. L. , Bucholttz , A. , Coe , H. , DeMott , P. Airborne instruments to measure atmospheric aerosol particles, clouds and radiation: A cook's tour of mature and emerging technology Atmospheric Research 2011 10.1175/JTECH1927.1
- Davison , C. , MacLeod , J.D. , Strapp , J.W. , Buttsworth , D.R. Isokinetic Total Water Content Probe in a Naturally Aspirating Configuration: Initial Aerodynamic Design and Testing 46 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit 2008
- Korolev , A. , and Sussman , B. A technique for Habit Classification of Cloud Particles Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2000 10.1175/1520-0426(2000)017<1048:AFTHCO>2.0.CO
- Field P. R. , Wood , R. , Brown , P. R. A. , Kaye , P. H. et al. Ice particle inter-arrival times measured with a Fast FSSP Journal of of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2003 10.1175/1520-0426(2003)020<2049:IPITMW>2.0.CO;2
- Korolev A. V. and Isaac , G. A. Shattering during sampling by OAPs and HVPS. Part 1: Snow particles Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2005 10.1175/JTECH1720.1
- Heymsfield , A. J. On measurements of small ice particles in clouds Geosphysical Research Letters 2007 10.1029/2007GL030951
- Field , P.R. , Heymsfield , A. J. , and Bansemer , A. Shattering and Particle Inter-arrival times measured by Optical Array Probes Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2006 10.1175/JTECH1922.1
- Baker , B. , Mo , Q. , Lawson , R. P. , O'Connor , D. , and Korolev , A. The effects of precipitation on cloud droplet measurement devices Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2009 10.1175/2009JTECHA1191.1
- Lawson , R. P. Effects of ice particle shattering on the 2DS probe Atmospheric measurement techniques 2011 10.5191/amt-4-1361-2011
- Korolev , A. , and Field , P. Assessment of performance of the inter-particle spacing algorithm to identify ice shattering artifacts in cloud particle probes measurements Atmospheric Measurement Techniques Discussions 2014 10.5192/amtd-7-10249-2014
- Korolev , A. Reconstruction of the sizes of spherical particles from their shadow images. Part I : Theoretical considerations Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 2007 10.1175/JTECH1980.1
- Brown , P. R. A. and Francis P. N. Improved Measurements of the Ice Water Content in Cirrus using a Total Water Probe Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 1995 10.1175/1520-0426(1995)012<0410:IMOTIW>2.0.CO
- Fontaine , E. , Schwarzenboeck , A. , Delanoë , J. , Wobrock , W et al. Constraining mass-diameter relation from hydrometeor images and cloud radar reflectivities in tropical continental and oceanic anvils Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions 2014 10.5194/acpd-14-2983-2014