This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Oil Formulation Technology to Prevent Pre-ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine oil formulation is known to affect low speed pre-ignition (LSPI), which creates technical restrictions on downsized turbocharged engines. Calcium, which is used to ensure detergency and anti-rust performance, is reported to increase LSPI events. Therefore, new formulation technologies are needed to satisfy both LSPI prevention performance and other conventional performance areas.
The authors focused on two approaches: enhancement of LSPI prevention performance by adding a booster component and substitution of calcium for a less reactive component to balance performance areas including LSPI prevention. We have verified the effectiveness of these approaches by increasing the dosage of molybdenum used as a friction modifier as well as replacing calcium detergent with a magnesium detergent. These formulation strategies can be applicable for future ILSAC GF-6 engine oil, where a specification for LSPI prevention performance is expected to be implemented.
CitationOnodera, K., Kato, T., Ogano, S., Fujimoto, K. et al., "Engine Oil Formulation Technology to Prevent Pre-ignition in Turbocharged Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2027, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2027.
- Bandel , W. , Fraidl , G. , Kapus , P. , Sikinger , H. et al. The Turbocharged GDI Engine: Boosted Synergies for High Fuel Economy Plus Ultra-low Emission SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1266 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1266
- Zaccardi , J. , Pagot , A. , Vangraefschepe , F. , Dognin , C. et al. Optimal Design for a Highly Downsized Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1794 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1794
- Dahnz , C. , Han , K. , Spicher , U. , Magar , M. et al. Investigations on Pre-Ignition in Highly Supercharged SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 214 224 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0355
- Zahdeh , A. , Rothenberger , P. , Nguyen , W. , Anbarasu , M. et al. Fundamental Approach to Investigate Pre-Ignition in Boosted SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 246 273 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0340
- Okada , Y. , Miyashita , S., H. , Koike , M. , Sasaki , N. , Nakata , K. Effect of a Single Oil Droplet on Ignition of Gasoline Mixture JSAE Annual Congress 2014 Spring Summarized Paper 270-20145227
- Izumi , Y. , Aoki , F. , Iizuka , M. , Okada , Y. Optical Analysis of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition on Highly Boosted SI Engine JSAE Annual Congress 2014 Spring Summarized Paper 276-20145032
- Takeuchi , K. , Fujimoto , K. Hirano , S , and Yamashita , M. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines SAE Int.J.Fuels Lubr 5 3 1017 1024 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1615
- Hirano , S. , Yamashita , M. , Fujimoto , K. , and Kato , K. Investigation of Engine Oil Effect on Abnormal Combustion in Turbocharged Direct Injection - Spark Ignition Engines (Part 2) SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2569 10.4271/2013-01-2569
- Fujimoto , K. , Yamashita , M. , Hirano , S. , Kato , K. et al. Engine Oil Development for Preventing Pre-Ignition in Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr 7 3 869 874 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2785
- ASTM D6557-13 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Rust Preventive Characteristics of Automotive Engine Oils 2013
- Kuo C.C. , Marchand D.M. , Lam W.Y. The Effect of Oil Additives in the Ball Rust Test SAE Technical Paper 972923