This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New High Porosity Diesel Particulate Filter for Integrated SCR Technology/Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel engines are widely used to reduce CO2 emission due to its higher thermal efficiency over gasoline engines. Considering long term CO2 targets, as well as tighter gas emission, especially NOx, diesel engines must become cleaner and more efficient. However, there is a tradeoff between CO2 and NOx and, naturally, engine developers choose lower CO2 because NOx can be reduced by a catalytic converter, such as a SCR catalyst. Lower CO2 engine calibration, unfortunately, leads to lower exhaust gas temperatures, which delays the activation of the catalytic converter. In order to overcome both problems, higher engine out NOx emission and lower exhaust gas temperatures, close-coupled a diesel particulate filter (DPF) system with integration of SCR catalyst technology is preferred.
For SCR catalyst activity, it is known that the catalyst loading amount has an influence on NOx performance, so a high SCR catalyst loading will be required. However, higher loading amount causes higher pressure drop for conventional DPF materials. Therefore, a high porosity DPF is requested for the integrated SCR concept. In this paper, the advanced high porosity DPF for an integrated SCR concept will be described. It contains a fundamental pore structure study to overcome the tradeoff between high pressure drop, high catalyst loadings, and sufficient soot filtration efficiency and experimental data using a gas burner, engine bench and vehicle; it also contains some durability test results.
- Yuki Jin - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Narimasa Shinoda - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Yosuke Uesaka - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Tatsuyuki Kuki - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Masataka Yamashita - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Hirofumi Sakamoto - NGK Insulators, Ltd.
- Tasuku Matsumoto - NGK Europe GmbH
- Philipp Kattouah - NGK Europe GmbH
- Claus Dieter Vogt - NGK Europe GmbH
CitationJin, Y., Shinoda, N., Uesaka, Y., Kuki, T. et al., "Development of New High Porosity Diesel Particulate Filter for Integrated SCR Technology/Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2018, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-2018.
- Dr.-Ing. Wartha Jens , Ing. Antonioli Pierpaolo , Ing. Sala Massimiliano , et al. The New General Motors 2.0L Euro 6 Diesel Engine - Fuel Economy and Driving Experience State of the Art 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- Dipl.-Ing. Möller Niels , Dipl.-Ing. Fleiss Michael , Dipl.-Ing. Olofsson Anette , Dr. Korsgren John The New 2.0-L Diesel Engine for the All-New Volvo XC90 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- Balland , J. , Parmentier , M. , and Schmitt , J. Control of a Combined SCR on Filter and Under-Floor SCR System for Low Emission Passenger Cars SAE Int. J. Engines 7 3 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1522
- Naseri , M. , Conway , R. , Hess , H. , Aydin , C. et al. Development of Emission Control Systems to Enable High NOx Conversion on Heavy Duty Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1525 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1525
- Dr. Lörch Henning , Dipl.-Ing. Weiß Ulrich , Pamio Giovanni , Dipl.-Ing. Bauer Rüdiger et al. The New EU6 R4 and V6 TDI Engines from Volkswagen and Audi Integration of SCR Functionality in a Close-Coupled Diesel Particulate Filter 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2013
- Dipl.-Ing. Eichler Friedrich , Dipl.-Ing. Kahrstedt Jörn , Dipl.-Ing. Köhne Markus et al. The New 2.0l 4-Cylinder BiTurbo TDI® Engine from Volkswagen 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- Dr. Mussmann Lothar , Dr. Grißtede Ina , Dr. Hauptmann Wulf et al. NSC/SDPF System as Sustainable Solution for EU 6b and Up-coming Legislation 23rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2014
- Johansen , K. , Bentzer , H. , Kustov , A. , Larsen , K. et al. Integration of Vanadium and Zeolite Type SCR Functionality into DPF in Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems - Advantages and Challenges SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1523 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1523
- Uchida Y. , Ichikawa S. , Harada T. , Hamanaka T. Durability Study on Si-SiC Material for DPF 2003 2003-01-0384
- Ogyu , K. , Ohno , K. , Hong , S. , and Komori , T. Ash Storage Capacity Enhancement of Diesel Particulate Filter SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0949 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0949
- Mizutani , T. , Kaneda , A. , Ichikawa , S. , Miyairi , Y. et al. Filtration Behavior of Diesel Particulate Filters (2) SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0923 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0923