This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on a Closed-Loop Control Strategy of Boost Pressure in Diesel Engines with Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The level of boost pressure has a significant effect on optimizing the steady-state and transient performance of turbocharged diesel engines. However the problem of matching the wide speed range diesel engine and the high pressure turbocharging system has to be resolved. The regulated two-stage (RTS) system is an effective method to improve the fuel economy, transient response and smoke emissions. Compared with the difficult matching problem of the RTS system, the problem of boost pressure control is more complex due to the frequently changing operating conditions. To overcome the limitations of an open-loop control strategy, a closed-loop boost pressure control strategy was studied numerically using a mean value model of a diesel engine with RTS system. The system identification was conducted for the transient response from the turbine bypass opening command to the boost pressure. A gain-scheduling proportion integration (PI) feedback controller was designed, and a feed-forward module was built. Therefore, a closed-loop control system was constructed and the numerical simulation of transient loading was carried out. The results of transient loading process at 1400r/min revealed that the closed-loop dynamic control strategy achieved the fastest response characteristic. A feed-forward boost pressure command designed to optimize fuel economy combined with the closed-loop control strategy produced a better response than the open-loop dynamic control strategy, demonstrating that the closed-loop control strategy could optimize economy and dynamic performance simultaneously. According to the closed-loop control strategy, a PI controller with the variable parameters produced better transient characteristic than that with the constant parameters, due to its ability for adjusting the PI controller parameters according to the actual changing operating conditions.
- Yi Cui - Shanghai Jiaotong Univ.
- Kangyao Deng - Shanghai Jiaotong Univ.
- Bo Liu - China Shipbuilding Power Engineering Institute Co., Ltd.
- Hualei Li - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Lei Shi - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Xinqi Qiao - Shanghai Jiao Tong Univ.
- Rong Jin - National Key Laboratory of Diesel Engine Turbocharging Tech.
CitationLi, H., Shi, L., Cui, Y., Qiao, X. et al., "Research on a Closed-Loop Control Strategy of Boost Pressure in Diesel Engines with Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1986, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1986.
- Pflüger F Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharging 3K-Warner's New Charging System for Commercial Diesel Engines[R] The Sixth International Conference on Turbocharging and Air Management Systems London, UK 1998
- Choi H , Kwon S , Cho S Development of Fuel Consumption of Passenger Diesel Engine with 2 Stage Turbocharger[C] SAE paper 2006-01-0021 Detroit, Michigan 2006
- Zhang Qingning , Brace Chris et al. Simulation Study of the Series Sequential Turbocharging for Engine Downsizing and Fuel Efficiency [C] SAE paper 2013-01-0935 2013
- Watel E , Pagot A , Pacaud P et al. Matching and Evaluating Methods for Euro 6 and Efficient Two-stage Turbocharging Diesel Engine[C] SAE paper 2010-01-1229 2010
- Langen P , Hall W , Nefischer P et al. The New Two-stage Turbocharged Six-cylinder Diesel Engine of the BMW 740d [J] ATZ auto technology 2010 10 2 44 51
- Plianos Alexandros , Stobart Richard Modeling and Control of Diesel Engines Equipped with a Two-Stage Turbo-System[C] SAE paper 2008-01-1018 2008
- Schwarzmann D , Nitsche R , Lunze J et al. Pressure Control of a Two-Stage Turbocharged Diesel Engine Novel nonlinear IMC approach Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications Munich, Germany
- Nitsche R , Schwarzmann D , Hanschke J Nonlinear internal model control of diesel air systems Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 62 4 501 512
- Dauron Model-based powertrain control: Many uses, no abuse Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 62 4 427 435
- Dambrosio L , Pascazio G , Fortunato B VGT turbocharger controlled by an adaptive technique IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS 8 4 492 499
- Hendricks E The Analysis of Mean Value Engine Models SAE paper 890563
- Jensen J P , Kristensen A F , Sorenson S C et al. Mean Value Modeling of a Small Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE paper 910070
- Rakopoulos C D , Giakoumis E G Review of Thermodynamic Diesel Engine Simulations under Transient Operating Conditions SAE paper 2006-01-0884
- Bension R S , Whitehouse N D Internal Combustion Engine [M]
- Hongzhong Gu Thermodynamic Process Simulation on Turbocharged Diesel Engine Shanghai Shanghai Jiao Tong University Press
- Eriksson L Modeling and Control of Turbocharged SI and DI Engines Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Revue. IFP 2007 62 4 523 538
- Liu B , Deng K Y , Cui Y Equivalent turbocharger model of regulated two-stage turbocharging system Journal of the Energy Institute 83 4 195 201
- Liu B , Zhilong Hu , Hualei Li et al. Experiment on Characteristic of Bypass Valves and Regulating MAP of a Regulated Two-Stage Turbocharged Diesel Engine 30 1 72 78
- Brace C J , Cox A , Hawley J G et al. Transient investigation of two variable geometry turbochargers for passenger vehicle diesel engines SAE paper 1999-01-1241
- Johansson T System analysis of a diesel engine with VGT and EGR [master thesis] Linköping, Sweden Linköping University 2005