This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Ethanol-Gasoline Onboard Separation System for Knocking Suppression
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Bio-ethanol is used worldwide in fuel mixtures such as E10 gasoline. In this study, an onboard fuel system employing a pervaporation membrane was investigated to separate E10 into high-octane-number fuel (high-concentration ethanol fuel) and low-octane-number fuel (low-concentration ethanol fuel). The optimal operation conditions and size of the membrane unit for the separation system were determined in consideration of the separation rate and vehicle installation. This system can supply separated ethanol with sufficient speed and quantity to improve engine performance under practical driving conditions. In addition, the study was conducted to confirm that separated fuels have properties sufficient for use in automobiles. This separation rate enabled 5-cycle-mode driving without temporary shortage of permeated fuel.
CitationChishima, H., Kuzuoka, K., Kurotani, T., and Kudo, H., "Study of Ethanol-Gasoline Onboard Separation System for Knocking Suppression," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1954, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1954.
- Cohn , D.R. , Bromberg , L. , Heywood , J.B. , Direct Injection Ethanol Boosted Gasoline Engines: Biofuel Leveraging for Cost-Effective Reduction of Oil Dependence and CO2 Emissions MIT LFEE Report 2005-001 2005
- Bromberg , L. , Cohn , D.R. , Effective Octane and Efficiency Advantages Of Direct Injection Alcohol Engines MIT LFEE Report 2008-01 2008
- Kamio , J. , Kurotani , T. , Kuzuoka , K. , Kubo , Y. et al. Study on HCCI-SI Combustion Using Fuels Ethanol Containing SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4051 2007
- Stein R. , House C. , and Leone T. , Optimal Use of E85 in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 670 682 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1490
- Whitaker , P. , Shen , Y. , Spanner , C. , Fuchs , H. , Agarwal , A. , Byrd , K. , Development of the Combustion System for a Flexible Fuel Turbocharged Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0585 2010
- Christie , M. , Fortino , N. , and Yilmaz , H. , Parameter Optimization of a Turbo Charged Direct Injection Flex Fuel SI Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 123 133 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0238
- Kudo , H. , Kuzuoka , K. , Kubo , Y. , Chishima , H. , Kurotani , T. , Research on Engine System making Effective Use of Bio-ethanol-blended Fuels JSAE 441-20135048 2013
- Kurotani , T. , Kuzuoka , K. , Kudo , H. , Research on Engine Controll to Make Effective Use of Bioethanol-Blend Fuels Honda R&D Technical Review 26 1 110 117 2014
- Partridge , R. , Weissman , W. , Ueda , T. , Iwashita , Y. et al. Onboard Gasoline Separation for Improved Vehicle Efficiency SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 2 366 378 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1200
- Kuzuoka , K. , Kurotani , T. , Chishima , H. , and Kudo , H. , Study of High-Compression-Ratio Engine Combined with an Ethaol-Gasoline Fuel Separation System SAE Int. J. Engines 7 4 1773 1780 2014 10.4271/2014-01-2614
- Andersen , V. , Anderson , J. , Wallington , T. et al. Vapor Pressures of Alcohol-Gasoline Blends Energy Fuels 24 3647 3654 2010
- Aikawa , K. , Sakurai , T. , and Hayashi , A. , Study of Ethanol-Blended Fuel (E85) Effect Under Cold-Start Conditions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 196 203 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0620