This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Characterization of DI Gasoline Injection Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work investigates the injection processes of an eight-hole direct-injection gasoline injector from the Engine Combustion Network (ECN) effort on gasoline sprays (Spray G). Experiments are performed at identical operating conditions by multiple institutions using standardized procedures to provide high-quality target datasets for CFD spray modeling improvement. The initial conditions set by the ECN gasoline spray community (Spray G: Ambient temperature: 573 K, ambient density: 3.5 kg/m3 (∼6 bar), fuel: iso-octane, and injection pressure: 200 bar) are examined along with additional conditions to extend the dataset covering a broader operating range. Two institutes evaluated the liquid and vapor penetration characteristics of a particular 8-hole, 80° full-angle, Spray G injector (injector #28) using Mie scattering (liquid) and schlieren (vapor). Diffused back-illumination (DBI) imaging, which is the ECN standard liquid length diagnostic, was also used to provide a reference for the Mie scatter measurements. In addition to imaging the full liquid field, the DBI measurements included long-distance microscopy collection to permit characterization of near-nozzle, end-of-injection details. Interpretation of plume-to-plume variation was assisted by nozzle geometry measurements performed using optical microscopy and x-ray tomography.
Results indicate that global spray parameters such as liquid and vapor penetration as well as spray angle are similar between the two facilities. The spray development and mixing is largely affected by charge gas conditions (mainly density). For instance, under the standard Spray G density, the individual plumes remained separated until the end of injection, while at higher ambient densities the plumes merged together. Spray development results, together with spray mechanical patternation supported the correlation with measured nozzle internal geometry. Long-distance microscopy measurements showed that the main flow was attracted toward the injector centerline after the end of injection, supporting the convergence of the plumes as observed in the spray angle measurements.
CitationManin, J., Jung, Y., Skeen, S., Pickett, L. et al., "Experimental Characterization of DI Gasoline Injection Processes," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1894, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1894.
- US EIA Annual energy outlook - 2013 US Energy Information Administration, Washington, DC 2013
- Cole R. L. , Poola R. B. , and Sekar R. Exhaust emissions of a vehicle with a gasoline direct-injection engine SAE Paper 982605 1998
- Sjöberg , M. , Zeng , W. , and Reuss , D. Role of Engine Speed and In-Cylinder Flow Field for Stratified and Well-Mixed DISI Engine Combustion Using E70 SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 642 655 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1241
- Loeper P. , Ra Y. , Adams C. , Foster D. , Ghandhi J. , Andrie M. , Krieger , R. , and Durrett R. Experimental investigation of light-medium load operating sensitivity in a gasoline compression ignition (GCI) light-duty diesel engine SAE Paper 2013-01-0896 2013
- Sellnau , M. , Sinnamon , J. , Hoyer , K. , and Husted , H. Full-Time Gasoline Direct-Injection Compression Ignition (GDCI) for High Efficiency and Low NOx and PM SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 300 314 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0384
- Ciatti S. , Johnson M. , Adhikary B. D. , Reitz , R. , and Knock A. Efficiency and emissions performance of multizone stratified compression ignition using different octane fuels SAE Paper 2013-01-0263 2013
- Engine Combustion Network www.sandia.gov/ecn/ Sandia National Laboratories 2009
- Naber J. D. and Siebers D. L. Effects of gas density and vaporization on penetration and dispersion of diesel sprays SAE Paper 960034 1996
- Bardi M. , Payri R. , Malbec L-M. , Bruneaux G. , Pickett L. M. , Manin J. , Bazyn , T. , and Genzale C. L. Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Comparison of spray development, vaporization and combustion in different combustion vessels Atomization And Sprays 22 10 807 842 2012
- SAE Standard J2715 Gasoline fuel injector spray measurement and characterization Society of Automotive Engineers 2007
- Kastengren A. L. , Tilocco F. Z. , Powell C. F. , Manin J. , Pickett L. M. , Payri , R. , and Bazin T. Engine Combustion Network (ECN): Measurements of nozzle diameter and hydraulic behavior Atomization And Sprays 22 12 1011 1052 2012
- Skeen S. A. , Manin , J. , and Pickett L. M. Simultaneous formaldehyde PLIF and high-speed schlieren imaging for ignition visualization in high-pressure spray flames Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 2014
- Parrish S. E. and Zink R. J. Development and application of an imaging system to evaluate liquid and vapor envelopes of sprays from a multi-hole gasoline fuel injector operating under engine-like conditions Atomization and Sprays 22 8 647 661 2012
- Blessinger M. , Meijer M. , Pickett L. M. , Manin , J. , and Skeen S. Liquid/vapor penetration and plume-plume interaction of vaporizing iso-octane and ethanol SIDI sprays ILASS-Americas 2013 Pittsburgh, PA 2013
- Pickett , L. , Manin , J. , Kastengren , A. , and Powell , C. Comparison of Near-Field Structure and Growth of a Diesel Spray Using Light-Based Optical Microscopy and X-Ray Radiography SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 1044 1053 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1412
- Manin J. , Bardi , M. , and Pickett L. M. Evaluation of the liquid length via diffused back-illumination imaging in vaporizing diesel sprays International Symposium COMODIA 2012 Fukuoka, Japan 2012
- Manin J. , Bardi M. , Pickett L. M. , Dahms , R. N. , and Oefelein J. C. Microscopic investigation of the atomization and mixing processes of diesel sprays injected into high pressure and temperature environments Fuel 134 531 543 2014
- Siebers D. L. Liquid-phase fuel penetration in diesel sprays SAE Transactions 107 1205 1227 1998
- Pickett , L. , Kook , S. , and Williams , T. Visualization of Diesel Spray Penetration, Cool-Flame, Ignition, High-Temperature Combustion, and Soot Formation Using High-Speed Imaging SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 439 459 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0658
- Parrish S. E. Method and apparatus for regulating gas entrainment in a fuel injection spray of an internal combustion engine US Patent 6.830.028 2004
- Pickett L. M. , Genzale C. L. , and Manin J. Uncertainty quantification for liquid penetration of evaporating sprays at diesel-like conditions Atomization And Sprays 2014
- Pickett , L. , Manin , J. , Genzale , C. , Siebers , D. et al. Relationship Between Diesel Fuel Spray Vapor Penetration/Dispersion and Local Fuel Mixture Fraction SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 764 799 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0686 4 1 764 799 2011
- Zeng W. , Xu M. , Zhang G. , Zhang , Y. , and Cleary D. J. Atomization and vaporization for flash-boiling multi-hole sprays with alcohol fuels Fuel 95 287 297 2012
- Aleiferis P. G. , Serras-Pereira J. , Van Romunde Z. , Caine , J. , and Wirth M. Mechanisms of spray formation and combustion from a multi-hole injector with E85 and gasoline Combustion and Flame 157 4 735 756 2010