This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on DME Assisted Gasoline CAI/HCCI Combustion with Intake Re-Breathing Valve Strategy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate feasibility of DME (Di-methyl ether) assisted gasoline CAI (controlled-auto ignition) combustion, direct DME injection is employed to act as the ignition source to trigger the auto-ignition combustion of premixed gasoline/air mixture with high temperature exhaust gas. Intake re-breathing valve strategy is adopted to obtain internal exhaust recirculation (EGR) that regulates heat release rate and ignitability of the premixed gasoline and air mixture. The effects of intake re-breathing valve timing and 2nd DME injection timing of different split injection ratios were investigated and discussed in terms of combustion characteristics, emission and efficiencies. The analyses showed that re-breathing intake valve timing had a large effect on the operation range of CAI combustion due to EGR and intake temperature variation. The results of 2nd DME injection timing on various 1st / 2nd DME injection ratio indicated that the optimized 2nd DME injection timing depends on 1st / 2nd DME injection ratio. As1st DME injection ratio was increased, more retarded 2nd DME injection timing was required.
CitationSeo, K. and Zhao, H., "Experimental Investigation on DME Assisted Gasoline CAI/HCCI Combustion with Intake Re-Breathing Valve Strategy," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1818, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1818.
- Zhao H., Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) and Controlled Autoignition (CAI) Combustion Engines for Automotive Industry, ISBN 184569 128 8, 2007.
- Christensen M., Hultqvist A. and Johansson B., “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 1999-01-3679, 1999.
- Aroonsrisopon T., Foster D. E., Morikawa T. and Iida M., “Comparison of HCCI Operating Ranges for Combinations of Intake Temperature, Engine Speed and Fuel Composition,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2002-01-1924, 2002.
- Bessonette P. W., Schleyer C. H., Duffy K. P., Hardy W. L. and Liechty M. P., “Effects of Fuel Property Changes on Heavy-Duty HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2007-01-0191, 2007.
- Persson H., Agrell M., Olsson J.-O., Johansson B. and Ström H., “The Effect of Intake Temperature on HCCI Operation Using Negative Valve Overlap,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2004-01-0944, 2004.
- Zhao H., Peng Z., Williams J. and Ladommatos N., “Understanding the Effects of Recycled Burnt Gases on the Controlled Autoignition (CAI) Combustion in Four-Stroke Gasoline Engines,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2001-01-3607, 2001.
- Yang C., Zhao H. and Megaritis T., “Investigation of CAI Combustion with Positive Valve Overlap and Enlargement of CAI Operating Range,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2009-01-1104, 2009.
- Fuerhapter A., Piock W. F. and Fraidl G. K., “CSI - Controlled Auto Ignition - the Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption - Versus Emission Trade-Off?,” SAE Technical Paper, Vols. 2003-01-0754, 2003.
- Li J., Zhao H., Ladommatos N. and Ma T., “Research and Development of Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion in a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine,” Vols. 2001-01-3608, 2001.
- Jang J., Yang K. and Bae C., “The Effect of Injection Location of DME and LPG in a Dual Fuel HCCI Engine,” Vols. 2009-01-1847, 2009.
- Hanson R., Kokjohn S., Splitter D. and Reitz R. D., “Fuel Effects on Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion at Low Load,” SAE Journal Article Vols. 2011-04-12, 2011.
- Kokjohn, S., Hanson, R., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R., “Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):24-39, 2010, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2647.
- Oguma M., Goto S. and Watanabe T., “Engine Performance and Emission Characteristics of DME Diesel Engine With Inline Injection Pump Developed for DME,” SAE International, no. 2004-01-1863, 2004-06-08.
- Zhao H., Lowry G. and Ladommatos N., “Time-Resolved Measurements and Analysis of In-Cylinder Gases and Particulates in Compression-Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper, vol. 961168, 1996.