This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Spark Timing and Load on Combustion and Emission Characteristics in Jet Controlled Compression Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel combustion system called Jet Controlled Compression Ignition (JCCI) is investigated to directly control the combustion phasing of premixed diesel compression ignition. Experiments were conducted on a single-cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine at 3000r/min without EGR. The experimental results showed a good linear relationship between spark timing in the ignition chamber and CA10 and CA50, which indicated the ability for direct combustion phasing control in premixed diesel combustion. The NOx and soot emissions gradually changed with the spark advance angle. Then, load sweep experiments were performed with fixed spark timing. The results showed the onset of combustion was almost unchanged over a wide load range. Additionally, NOx emission was greatly reduced at all test loads compared with the original engine. Soot emission was reduced at a comparatively high load while similar with that of the original engine at low loads. The maximum reduction of NOx and Soot were both over 90%.
- Qiang Li - Institute of Internal Combustion Engine, Dalian University o
- Wuqiang Long - Institute of Internal Combustion Engine, Dalian Univ.
- Qiang Zhang - Institute of Internal Combustion Engine, Dalian Univ.
- Jiangping Tian - Institute of Internal Combustion Engine, Dalian Univ.
- Hua Tian - Institute of Internal Combustion Engine, Dalian Univ.
CitationLong, W., Zhang, Q., Tian, J., Tian, H. et al., "Effect of Spark Timing and Load on Combustion and Emission Characteristics in Jet Controlled Compression Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1793, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1793.
- HU G Prospect on Diesel Combustion Research [J] Journal of Dalian Institute of Technology 1982 04 71 80
- HU G New Strategy on Diesel Combustion Development[C] SAE Technical Paper 900442 1990
- LONG W , Ohtsuka H , Obokata T Characterization of conical spray flow for diesel engine via laser doppler methods: PDA measurement of droplet size distribution[J] JSME international journal. Series B, Fluids and Thermal Engineering 1996 39 3 554 561
- LENG X , Feng L , Long W et al. A Study of the Mixture Formation Process for a Third-Generation Conical Spray Applied in HCCI Diesel Combustion[J] Fuel 2010 89 1 392 398
- Dumitrescu E , Neill S , Guo H et al. Fuel Property Effects on PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine[J] American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2012 134 52801 52808
- Stanglmaier H. , Charles E. Roberts Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications[J] Progress in technology 2003 100 477 484
- Luszcz P , Xu H , Wyzsnski M et al. Imaging studies of in-cylinder HCCI combustion[J] Frontiers in Energy 2011 5 3 313 321
- Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Hatamura , K. , Suzuki , M. et al. Effect of Fuel and Thermal Stratifications on the Operational Range of an HCCI Gasoline Engine Using the Blow-Down Super Charge System SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 666 680 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0845
- Ogawa , H. , Miyamoto , N. , Kaneko , N. , and Ando , H. Combustion Control and Operating Range Expansion With Direct Injection of Reaction Suppressors in a Premixed DME HCCI Engine[C] SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0746 2003
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Benajes , J. , Novella , R. , Garcia , A. , Domenech , V. et al. An Investigation on Mixing and Auto-ignition using Diesel and Gasoline in a Direct-Injection Compression-Ignition Engine Operating in PCCI Combustion Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2590 2602 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0008
- Jia M , Xie M , Wang T et al. The effect of injection timing and intake valve close timing on performance and emissions of diesel PCCI engine with a full engine cycle CFD simulation[J] Applied Energy 2011 88 9 2967 2975
- Flowers , D. , Aceves , S. , Martinez-Frias , J. , Smith , J. et al. Operation of a four-cylinder 1.9L propane fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition engine: Basic operating characteristics and cylinder-to-cylinder effects[C] SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1895 2001
- Kim D S et al. Improved emission characteristics of HCCI engine by various premixed fuels and cooled EGR[J] Fuel 2006 85 5-6 695 704
- Dong Q , Long W , Ishima T et al. Spray characteristics of V-type intersecting hole nozzles for diesel engines[J] Fuel 2013 104 500 50