This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Conditions Producing Two-Stage Main Combustion Heat Release in a Supercharged HCCI Engine using a Gaseous Fuel Blend
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a detailed analysis was made of supercharged HCCI combustion using a two-component fuel blend of dimethyl ether (DME), which has attracted interest as a potential alternative fuel, and methane. The quantity of fuel injected and boost pressure were varied to investigate the equivalence ratio and operating region conducive to optimal HCCI combustion. The results revealed that varying the boost pressure according to the engine load and applying a suitable equivalence ratio induced two-stage main combustion over a wide load range, making it possible to avoid excessively rapid combustion.
CitationSuzuki, H., Mochizuki, K., Shima, T., Iijima, A. et al., "An Analysis of Conditions Producing Two-Stage Main Combustion Heat Release in a Supercharged HCCI Engine using a Gaseous Fuel Blend," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1785, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1785.
- Thring , R. H. Homogeneous - Charge Compression - Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE paper 892068 1989
- Satou , S. et al. Influence of the Fuel Compositions on the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion (Second Report) -Effect of the Mixing Ratios of Double Componential Fuels on the Operating Region of HCCI Engine Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 38 2 119 124 2007
- Konno , M. et al. Ignition Mechanisms of HCCI Combustion Process Fueled with Methane/DME Composite Fuel SAE Paper 2005-01-0182
- Satou , S. et al. Influence of the Fuel Compositions on the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion (First Report) - Effect of the Variations of Fuel Composition on the Oxidation Reaction Processes of Pre-mixture Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 38 2 113 118 2007
- Yamashita , D. et al. The Study on Auto-ignition and Combustion Process of the Fuel Blended with Methane and DME in HCCI Engine Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 36 6 85 90 2005
- Tsutsumi , Y. et al. The Effect of Supercharging on Heat Release in an HCCI Engine JSAE Transaction 40 4 1023 1028 2009
- Iijima , A. et al. Study of Mechanism Producing Multi-Stage Heat Release in Supercharged HCCI Using Blended Fuel - Reaction Analyses by FTIR Method, In-cylinder Spectroscopy and Chemical Kinetic Simulation Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 43 2 337 343 2012
- Iijima , A. et al. Study of Mechanism Producing Multi - Stage Heat Release in Supercharged HCCI Using Blended Fuel (Second Report) - Influence of Fuel Type on Conbustion by Spectroscopic Analysis and Chemical Kinetic Calculation- Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 43 6 1233 1238 2012
- Ishikawa , Y. , Iijima , A. , Yoshida , K. , and Shoji , H. Analysis of Combustion Characteristics and Efficiency Improvement of a Supercharged HCCI Engine Achieved by Using the Different Ignition Characteristics of Gaseous Fuels SAE Int. J. Engines 5 4 1869 1879 2012 10.4271/2012-32-0075
- John , B. H. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 42 61 1976
- Iijima , A. et al. Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 38 6 83 88 2007
- Gaydon , A. G. The Spectroscopy of Flames Second London Chapman and Hall Ltd. 1974
- Abe , Y. et al. A Study of Supercharged HCCI Combustion using In - cylinder Spectroscopic Techniques and Chemical Kinetic Calculation SAE International Journal of Engines 6 4 2164 2170 2013
- Suzuki , S. et al. Coal Oil / Natural Gas review’ 9 1 27 2003
- Fujimoto , K. et al. DME Handbook Ohmsha 32 2006
- Andreae , M. et al. On HCCI Engine Knock SAE Paper 2007-01-1858 2007