This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Incorporating Thermo- and Aerodynamic Losses into Compressor Models for Real-Time Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Compressor models play a major role as they define the boost pressure in the intake manifold. These models have to be suitable for real-time applications such as control and diagnosis and for that, they need to be both accurate and computationally inexpensive. However, the models available in the literature usually fulfill only one of these two competing requirements. On the one hand, physics-based models are often too complex to be evaluated on line. On the other hand, data-based models generally suffer insufficient extrapolation features.
To combine the merits of these two types of models, this work presents an extended approach to compressor modeling with respect to thermo- and aerodynamic losses. In particular, the model developed by Martin et al.  is augmented to explicitly incorporate friction, incidence and heat transfer losses. The resulting model surpasses the extrapolation properties of data-based models and facilitates the generation of extended lookup tables.
In conclusion, the three main advantages of the developed approach are first, a high fitting quality resulting in accurate lookup tables for the real-time application, second, little measurement data are required and third, the identification process supports the high model accuracy.
CitationMeddahi, F., Charlet, A., Chamaillard, Y., and Fleck, C., "Incorporating Thermo- and Aerodynamic Losses into Compressor Models for Real-Time Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1715, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1715.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- MARTIN , G. , TALON , V. , PEUCHANT , T. , HIGELIN , P. et al. Physics based diesel turbocharger model for control purposes SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0123 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0123
- Grondin , O. , Stobart , R. , Chafouk , H. , and Maquet , J. Modelling the Compression Ignition Engine for Control: Review and Future Trends SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0423 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0423
- Alan , H. and O'Brien , W. A three-dimensional turbine engine analysis compressor code for steady-state inlet distortion Journal of Turbomachinery 1997
- Macek , J. , Vávra , J. , and Vítek , O. 1-D Model of Radial Turbocharger Turbine Calibrated by Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0377 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0377
- Piscaglia , F. , Onorati , A. , Marelli , S. , and Capobianco , M. Unsteady Behavior in Turbocharger Turbines: Experimental Analysis and Numerical Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0081 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0081
- Léonard , O. and Adam , O. A quasi-one-dimensional cfd model for multistage turbomachines Journal of Thermal Science 17 1 7 20 Mar. 2008 10.1007/s11630-008-0007-z
- Japikse , D. Turbomachinery Performance Modeling SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0307 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0307
- Bozza , F. and De Bellis , V. Steady and Unsteady Modeling of Turbocharger Compressors for Automotive Engines SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1536 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1536
- Bozza , F. and De Bellis , V. Map-Based and 1D Simulation of a Turbocharger Compressor in Surging Operation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 2 2418 2433 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0126
- Jensen , J. , Kristensen , A. , Sorenson , S. , Houbak , N. et al. Mean Value Modeling of a Small Turbocharged Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 910070 1991 10.4271/910070
- Moraal , P. and Kolmanovsky , I. Turbocharger Modeling for Automotive Control Applications SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0908 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0908
- Dowell , P. and Akehurst , S. Advanced Mapping Techniques for Radial Compressor for Use in Real-Time Engine Models SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1227 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1227
- El Hadef , J. , Colin , G. , Chamaillard , Y. , and Talon , V. Physical-Based Algorithms for Interpolation and Extrapolation of Turbocharger Data Maps SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 363 378 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0434
- Shaaban , S. Experimental investigation and extended simulation of turbocharger non-adiabatic performance PhD thesis Universität Hannover 2004
- Hanlon , P. Compressor Handbook McGRAW-HILL 2001
- Watson , N. and Janota, Marian , S. Turbocharging the internal combustion engine The Macmillan Press LTD 1982
- Lesieur , M. La turbulence Presses Universitaires de Grenoble 1994