This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Optimal Camera Monitor System (OCMS) for Automotive
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Current market trend indicates an increased interest in replacing mirrors by camera monitor systems (CMS) to reduce CO2 emissions and to improve visibility of surrounding environment to the driver. A CMS is an advanced system composed of an electronic imager, a display, and an intelligent electronic control unit intended to provide at least the same level of functionality of legally prescribed mirrors. A CMS must also take into consideration several factors in the designed system to satisfy an overall system magnification and system resolution. Some factors pertain to the camera, and display inside the cockpit, but some other are related to the physical constraints of the human operator, i.e. visual acuity, height, etc.
In this paper, we demonstrate that there exists a fundamental nonlinear equation for a given CMS encompassing factors that influence the performance of the system. Moreover, we show that it is possible to design an optimal CMS by using optimization algorithms on the fundamental equation. We also demonstrate that a CMS system can be designed from camera data requirements to display parameters or similarly from display data requirements to camera parameters. Additionally, we also show a design based on camera-display data to system parameters. Finally, we highlight that maximizing one of the three approaches will subsequently maximize the other two.
|Collection||Automotive Lighting Technologyand Human Factors in Driver Vision and Lighting, 2012|
|Technical Paper||Intelligent Warning Lights and Driving Safety|
|Technical Paper||The Significance of a Reference Architecture in the Automotive Industry|
- Miguel Hurtado - VALEO North America, Inc.
- Amine Taleb-Bendiab - VALEO North America, Inc.
- Heinz Mattern - VALEO North America, Inc.
- Julien Moizard - VALEO Driving Assistance Research
- Miguel Hurtado - Valeo North America, Inc.
- Amine Taleb-Bendiab - Valeo North America, Inc.
- Heinz Mattern - Valeo North America, Inc.
- Patrice M. Reilhac - Valeo Schalter und Sensoren GmbH
CitationHurtado, M., Taleb-Bendiab, A., Moizard, J., Reilhac, P. et al., "An Optimal Camera Monitor System (OCMS) for Automotive," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1705, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1705.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations 49 CFR 571.111 - Standard No. 111; Rearview mirrors October 1 st 2011 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-111
- UNECE Vehicle Regulations ECE-R46, Uniform provisions concerning the approval of devices for indirect vision and of motor vehicles with regard to the installation of these devices Addendum 45: Regulation No. 46, Revision 5 August 19 2013 http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs41-60.html
- Platzer , G. The Geometry of Automotive Rearview Mirrors - Why Blind Zones Exist and Strategies to Overcome Them SAE Technical Paper 950601 1995 10.4271/950601
- Reducing CO 2 emissions from new cars: 2006 progress report on the car industry's voluntary commitment European Federation for Transport and Environment September 2007
- Fornell Fagerström , K. and Gårdlund , A. Mirror replacement in trucks Master of Science Thesis in Product Development Chalmers University of Technology 2012
- Visual Acuity Measurement Standard International Council of Ophthalmology 1998
- Healey , C. G. and Sawant , A. P. On the limits of resolution and visual angle in visualization ACM Trans. Appl. Percept. 9 4 October 2012
- Fowles , G. Introduction to Modern Optics Dover Publications 2 June 1 1989
- Chong E. K. P. and Zak H. S. An Introduction to Optimization Wiley 4th June 14 2013
- Boyd , S. and Vandenberghe , L. Convex Optimization Cambridge University Press 1st March 8 2004
- Rudin , Walter Principles of Mathematical Analysis McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math 3rd January 1 1976