This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Tumble Motion on an Optical Single Cylinder Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is focused on the experimental and numerical investigation of tumble motion on a single cylinder optical engine on three important parameters like engine load conditions, engine speed and level of tumble. Experiments are conducted in an optical engine and the velocity fields are measured with the aid of advanced particle image velocimetry (PIV) measurement technique. For simulation, multiple cases were considered to develop the numerical process for transient in-cylinder aerodynamics to capture the tumble motion and turbulence level in a Spark Ignited (SI) engine. The simulation results, velocity fields of each case were directly compared with the corresponding test results for different crank positions of the engine. On comparison, a good agreement between the measurement and the simulation is obtained for different configurations.
CitationRathinam, B., Ravet, F., Servant, C., Delahaye, L. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Investigations of Tumble Motion on an Optical Single Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1698, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1698.
- Van Basshuysen, R. and Schafer F., “Internal Combustion Engine Handbook” (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 2004), ISBN 978-0-7680-1139-5.
- Chen, M., Zhang, W., Zhang, X., and Ding, N., “In-cylinder CFD Simulation of a New 2.0L Turbo Charged GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0826, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0826.
- Gunasekaran, J. and Ganesan, V., “Effect Of Swirl and Tumble on the Stratified Combustion of a DISI Engine - A CFD Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1214, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1214.
- Iyer, C. and Yi, J., “3D CFD Upfront Optimization of the In-Cylinder Flow of the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1492, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1492.
- Li, Y., Zhao, H., Peng, Z., and Ladommatos, N., “Analysis of Tumble and Swirl Motions in a Four-Valve SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3555, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3555.
- Krishna B. Murali and Mallikarjuna J.M. “Tumble Flow Analysis in an Unfired Engine Using Particle Image Velocimetry” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol: 3 2009-06-20.
- Misdariis A., Robert A., Vermorel O., Richard S. and Poinsot T. “Numerical methods and turbulence modeling for LES of piston engines: impact on flow motion and combustion” Oil & Gas science and technology - 2010 IFPEN Energies nouvelles.
- Pilla, G. and Francqueville, L., “Stabilization of Highly Diluted Gasoline Direct Injection Engine using Innovative Ignition Systems,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(4):1734-1743, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2598.
- Rathinam Balamurugan, Subramanian Duraisamy and Naithani Upendra, Ravet Frederic, Dutfoy Laurent “Grid size optimization for diesel injection spray nozzle using CFD analysis” IITK-India for the 5th International and 41st National conference on Fluid mechanics and Fluid power.
- Converge 2.1.0 Theory manual, Convergent Science.