This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detection of Stationary Operating States of Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern methods of engine development use complex mathematical models. Adding advanced components such as variable valve trains or direct injection systems to the model increases the degrees of freedom resulting in a high number of measurements for validation. Steadily rising costs for development, time and staff make it crucial for industry to improve the quality of measurements with advanced analysis techniques. Often, such models consider the simulated system as stationary, implying that system variables no longer change with time.
This paper presents an internal combustion engine measurement system utilizing algorithms for the real-time evaluation of the state of the engine or its components. Several approaches have been reviewed and tested regarding their applicability. The most straightforward algorithms compare the gradient of a sensor signal to a pre-defined threshold. These techniques are known to be very robust and suitable for motor applications but must be carefully adjusted. The signal quality often varies in engine environments, and typically slow sample rates (1-10 Hz) render frequency-based filtering impractical. A combination of Savitzky-Golay filtering and Total-Variation filtering is used in implementing the system described in this paper. Calibration of the system is required and conducted with the support of a training method. A global weighting function considers the significance of particular signals on the state of the general system.
Measurements on an engine test rig validate the assumption that the introduced system can reduce the measurement efforts as test time decreases while reliability of measurements increases.
Citationvon Imhoff, B., Zweck, J., and Wachtmeister, G., "Detection of Stationary Operating States of Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1643, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1643.
- Cao , S. and Rhinehart , R. An efficient method for on-line identification of steady state Journal of Process Control 5 6 1995
- Cao , S. and Rhinehart , R. Critical values for a steady-state identifier Journal of Process Control 7 2 1997
- Bhat , S. and Saraf , D. Steady-State Identification, Gross Error Detection, and Data Reconciliation for Industrial Process Units Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 43 15 2004
- Mansour , M. and Ellis , J. Methodology of on-line optimisation applied to a chemical reactor Applied Mathematical Modelling 32 2 170 184 2008
- Rhinehart , R. A Statistically Based Filter ISA Transactions 41 2 2002
- Kelly , J. and Hedengren , J. A steady-state detection (SSD) algorithm to detect non-stationary drifts in processes Journal of Process Control 23 3 2013
- Narasimhan , S. , Kao , C. , and Mah , R. Detecting changes of steady states using the mathematical theory of evidence AIChE Journal 33 11 1987
- Beck , T. , Housh , T. , Weir , J. , Cramer , J. et al. An examination of the Runs Test, Reverse Arrangements Test, and modified Reverse Arrangements Test for assessing surface EMG signal stationarity Journal of Neuroscience Methods 156 2006
- Jiang , T. , Chen , B. , He , X. , and Stuart , P. Application of steady-state detection method based on wavelet transform Computers & Chemical Engineering 27 4 2003
- Mhamdi , A. , Geffers , W. , Flehmig , F. , and Marquardt , W. On-line optimization of MSF desalination plants Encyclopedia of Desalination and Water Resources (DESWARE) EOLSS Publishers Co. Ltd. Oxford, UK, Springer Verlag 2000
- Kim , M. , Yoon , S. , Domanski , P. , and Payne , W. Design of a steady-state detector for fault detection and diagnosis of a residential air conditioner International Journal of Refrigeration 31 5 2008
- Roh , C. , Kim , M. , and Kim , H. Design Method Of Steady State Detector For Multi-Evaporator Heat Pump System With Decomposition Analysis Technique International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference 2010
- Simon , D. and Litt , J. A Data Filter for Identifying Steady-State Operating Points in Engine Flight Data for Condition Monitoring Applications ASME Turbo Expo 2010
- Fernandes , G. , Bringhenti , C. , and Madsen , F. Automated Method for Recognizing Steady State Intervals on Time Series in Gas Turbines Test Bench Proceedings of PACAM XII 2011
- Flohr , A. Konzept und Umsetzung einer Online-Messdatendiagnose an Motorenprüfständen Technische Universität Darmstadt 2005
- Flohr , A. and Ihme-Schramm , H.D. Verfahren und Vorrichtung zur Bestimmung der Messgenauigkeit einer Messeinrichtung DE102006048730 A1 2007
- Berger , M. , Fritz , S. C. , Fuchs , W. , Guntschnig , T. et al. Verfahren und Vorrichtung zur Analyse und Bewertung von Messdaten eines Messsystems EP2078945A2 2009
- Roux , G. , Santoro , B. , Sotelo , F. , Teissier , M. et al. Improving steady-state identification Braunschweig , B. and Joulia , X. 18th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering Computer Aided Chemical Engineering Elsevier 2008
- Hain , J. Varianzanalyse-ANOVA Universität Würzburg 2011 http://www.statistik-mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de/
- Luo , J. , Ying , K. , and Bai , J. Savitzky Golay smoothing and differentiation filter for even number data Signal Processing 85 2005
- Luo , J. , Ying , K. , He , P. , and Bai , J. Properties of Savitzky Golay Digital Differentiators Digital Signal Processing 15 2005
- Chartrand , R. Numerical Differentiation of Noisy, Nonsmooth Data ISRN Applied Mathematics 2011 2011
- Smith , S. The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing 2nd California Technical Publishing San Diego, CA, USA 1997
- Selesnick , I. Total variation denoising (an MM algorithm) NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering Lecture Notes 2012