This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Predicting the Nitrogen Oxides Emissions of a Diesel Engine using Neural Networks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nitrogen oxides emissions are an important aspect of engine design and calibration due to increasingly strict legislation. As a consequence, accurate modeling of nitrogen oxides emissions from Diesel engines could play a crucial role during the design and development phases of vehicle powertrain systems. A key step in future engine calibration will be the need to capture the nonlinear behavior of the engine with respect to nitrogen oxides emissions within a rapid-calculating mathematical model. These models will then be used in optimization routines or on-board control features.
In this paper, an artificial neural network structure incorporating a number of engine variables as inputs including torque, speed, oil temperature and variables related to fuel injection is developed as a method of predicting the production of nitrogen oxides based on measured test data. A multi-layer perceptron model is identified and validated using data from dynamometry tests.
The model predicts exhaust nitrogen oxide concentrations under different engine conditions with satisfactory accuracy. The developed neural network model has potential applications in real-time control aimed at reducing nitrogen oxides emission levels.
CitationZhang, Q., Pennycott, A., Burke, R., Akehurst, S. et al., "Predicting the Nitrogen Oxides Emissions of a Diesel Engine using Neural Networks," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1626, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1626.
- European Commission Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2007 on type approval of motor vehicles with respect to vehicle repair and maintenance information 2007
- European Commission Commission proposal to limit the CO 2 emissions from cars to help fight climate change, reduce fuel costs and increase European competitiveness 2007
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Pang , H. , Brace , C. , and Akehurst , S. Potential of a Controllable Engine Cooling System to Reduce NOx Emissions in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0054 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0054
- Burke , R.D. , Brace , C.J. , Cox , A. , Lewis , A. , Hawley , J.G. and Pegg , I. Systems approach to the improvement of engine warm-up behaviour Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D - Journal of Automotive Engineering 2011 225 2 190 205
- Wijetunge , R. , Brace , C. , Hawley , J. , Vaughan , N. et al. Dynamic Behaviour of a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0829 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0829
- Brahma , I. , Sharp , M. , and Frazier , T. Empirical Modeling of Transient Emissions and Transient Response for Transient Optimization SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1433 1443 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1508
- Kalogirou , S.A. Artificial intelligence for the modeling and control of combustion processes: a review Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2003 29 6 515 566
- Deh Kiani , M.K. , Ghobadian , B. , Tavakoli , T. , Nikbakht , A. and Najafi , G. Artificial neural-network modeling of variablevalve timing in a spark-ignition engine Energy 2010 35 1 65 69
- He , Y. and Rutland , C. Modeling of a Turbocharged DI Diesel Engine Using Artificial Neural Networks SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2772 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2772
- Burke , R.D. , Baumann , W. , Akehurst , S. and Brace , C. Dynamic modelling of Diesel emissions using the parametric Volterra Series Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D: Journal of Automotive Engineering 2014 228 2 164 179
- Cybenko , G. Approximation by superpositions of a sigmoidal function Mathematics of Control, Signals, and Systems 1989 2 4 303 314
- Burke , R.D , Fath , B. , Akehurst , S. , Brace , C.J. , Baumann , W. and Wascheck , R. Practical approach to thermodynamic modelling of Diesel engine emissions Design of Experiments in Engine Development 6th Expert Verlag Berlin, Germany 2011
- Baumann , W. , Klug , K. , Kohler , B.-U. , and Ropke , K. Modelling of transient Diesel engine emissions 5 th Conference on the Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development Berlin, Germany 2009 29 30
- Guhmann , C. and Riedel , J.-M. Comparison of identification methods for nonlinear dynamic systems 6th Conference on the Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development Berlin, Germany 2011 41 53