This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model Reference Adaptive Control for Active Trailer Steering of Articulated Heavy Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a model reference adaptive control (MRAC) strategy for active trailer steering (ATS) in order to improve the lateral stability of articulated heavy vehicles (AHVs). Optimal controllers based on the Linear Quadratic Regulator (LQR) technique have been explored to enhance the lateral stability of AHVs; these controllers are designed under the assumption that the vehicle model parameters and operating conditions are given and they remain as constants. However, in reality, the vehicle system parameters and operating conditions may vary. To address the variable payloads of trailer(s), the controller based on MRAC technique is adopted. A three degrees of freedom (DOF) linear yaw-plane tractor-semitrailer model is generated to design the control law. The reference model is also developed using the linear yaw-plane model with the LQR technique. The effectiveness of the MRAC controller is demonstrated using numerical simulations under an emulated single lane-change maneuver.
CitationWang, Q., Zhu, S., and He, Y., "Model Reference Adaptive Control for Active Trailer Steering of Articulated Heavy Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1495, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1495.
- Odhams A. M. C., Roebuck R. L., Cebon D., and Winkler C. B., “Dynamic Safety of Active Trailer Steering Systems”, J. Multi-body Dynamics, Vol. 222, pp.367-380, 2008.
- Cheng C. and Cebon. D. “Improving Roll Stability of Articulated Heavy Vehicles Using Active Semi-trailer Steering”, Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 46, pp. 373-388, 2008.
- McCartt A. T., Northrup V.S. and Retting R. A., “Types and Characteristics of Ramp-Related Motor Vehicle Crashes on Urban Interstate Roadways in North Virginia”, Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 35, pp. 107-114, 2004.
- Sweatman P. and Coleman B., “Productivity Opportunities with Steerable Axles”, 7th International Symposium on Heavy Vehicle Weights & Dimensions Delft, the Netherlands, June 16-20, 2002.
- Palkovics L. and EI-Gindy M., “Examination of Different Control Strategies of Heavy-Vehicle Performance”, Journal of Dynamics Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 118, pp. 489-498, 1996.
- Rangavajhula K. and Tsao Jacob H. S., “Active Trailer Steering Control of An Articulated System with A Tractor and Three Full Trailers for Tractor-Tracking Following”, International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, Vol. 14, pp. 271-293, 2007.
- Ding X., Mikaric S. and He Y., “Design of An Active Trailer-Steering System for Multi-Trailer Articulated Heavy Vehicles Using Real-Time Simulations”, Journal of Automotive Engineering, Vol. 227(5), pp. 643-655, 2013.
- Song L., Mikaric S., Wang Q. and He Y., “Driver-Software-in-the-Loop Real-Time Simulations for the Design of SUV Differential Braking Controllers”, Proceedings of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering International Congress, June 1-4, 2014, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- He Y. and Wang Q., “Driver-hardware/software-in-the-loop real-time simulations for the design of active trailer steering systems of multi-trailer articulated heavy vehicles”, Proceedings of 12th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control, Paper ID: 20149266, September 22-26, 2014, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 391-396.
- Byrne R. H. and Abdallah C.T., “Design of a Model Reference Adaptive Controller for Vehicle Road Following”, Journal of Mathematical Computer Modelling, Vol. 22(4-7), pp. 343-354, 1995.
- Chen L. K. and Shieh Y. A., “Jackknife Prevention for Articulated Vehicles Using Model Reference Adaptive Control”, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Vol. 25, pp. 28-42, 2010.
- Koibuchi K., Yamamoto M., Fukada Y. and Inagaki S., “Vehicle Stability Control in Limit Cornering by Active Brake”, SAE Technical Paper, 960487, 1996.
- Islam M., Ding X., and He Y., “A Closed-Loop Dynamic Simulation-Based Design Method for Articulated Heavy Vehicles with Active Trailer Steering Systems”, Journal of Vehicle System Dynamics, Vol. 50(5), pp.675-697, 2012.
- Narendra L. K. and Annaswamy A. M., “Stable Adaptive Systems”, 1989 (Prentice-Hall, New Jersey)